Maintaning fluval 405 filter

superman

Recently I upgraded to a fluval 405 filter and I love it. However, it has come time to do some maintenance (cleaning etc.) and I wanted to get some advice. What should I do with the media inside? I've heard to clean the sponges with tank water, and I've also heard to use RO water. Is either acceptable? Also, should I completely replace the carbon, part of the carbon, none of the carbon? How long does the carbon last? Lastly, do I need to do any major disassembly for cleaning smaller parts? Thanks for the help.

geoj

Rinse off sponges with dechlorinate water and replace all carbon once a month. Test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate weekly to determent if you need to change your filter cleaning schedule. Test the carbon you use to see if it leaches phosphate.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman http:///t/390521/maintaning-fluval-405-filter#post_3459036
Recently I upgraded to a fluval 405 filter and I love it. However, it has come time to do some maintenance (cleaning etc.) and I wanted to get some advice. What should I do with the media inside? I've heard to clean the sponges with tank water, and I've also heard to use RO water. Is either acceptable? Also, should I completely replace the carbon, part of the carbon, none of the carbon? How long does the carbon last? Lastly, do I need to do any major disassembly for cleaning smaller parts? Thanks for the help.
Well I'm going to have to disagree with GeoJ to a point.
The sponges in a fluval have good bacteria growing on them and if you clean it too well, then you lose that colony and might even see an ammonia spike afterwards. The good bacteria in a fish tank only grows proportionate to the bioload. If you over clean the sponges with freshwater, you kill an impotant part of the nitrogen cycle you have developed.
That's why you either clean only 1/2 of the sponges (according to their instructions) at any one time, or just rinse them all in old saltwarer as you do your water changes. That way you unclog the sponges and still keep the colony of good bacteria in tact. I liked to clean my canister the way GeoJ said (if I have to clean it I wanted to really clean it)...soooo...I got two canisters and alternated cleaning each one once a month.
I also rinsed the white beads in saltwater...I used a nylon stocking tied off for that media to make it easier to rinse off. I also removed the old carbon and replaced it. I used the nylon stocking for the carbon as well...much cheaper than the mesh bags they sell, and it's easier to just toss the carbon out that way then to try and keep the bag, and dump it.
I used plain old tap water to wash the container but not the media. I really like my 405 canister, and still have it handy for emergencies. I have sumps on my tanks now.

geoj

Have you seen a spike because I have not and I think they are too small to be much of a use to change nitrate more to help convert ammonia and nitrite? They are best used as a chemical filter.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJ http:///t/390521/maintaning-fluval-405-filter#post_3459194
Have you seen a spike because I have not and I think they are too small to be much of a use to change nitrate more to help convert ammonia and nitrite? They are best used as a chemical filter.
Yes, I cleaned my canister the same way you have posted and I had a 0.25 ammonia reading right afterward...(this was a very long time ago) I was going crazy trying to figure out why, when I did a water change every two days later I would have ammonia. I was told to not clean my canister so well, to only clean 1/2 of the filters at a time.
No way am I going to pull apart a canister and not clean it...so I got a second canister and cleaned one at a time...no more ammonia problems.
It's all part of the system...if you have those sponges, it has needed colonies growing on them. Even fake plants, if they have been in the tank long enough, don't remove all of them at once.

geoj

Wow, that is hard to believe I will have to put my filter back up to see if I can replicate it. I will by a seachem test kit also...

geoj

That is ok I think I will clean my sump to see the pop in ammonia it is about time any way.