Major problem in tank

sluggo

Within the past week I have lost two fish and now my large Lopezi Tang is breathing very labored and will not eat. I checked my water and took a sample to the LFS yesterday, Nitrates were a little high (20), Nitrites (.25) but other than that no problem. What could possibly be happening in my tank? I have been into Saltwater for nearly 4 years now and never had a massive die off before without having been an error on my part. Any Ideas? Each fish has shown the same signs of labored breathing and stress before death.
Don

lion_crazz

That nitrite level is a little scary. Nitrites are pretty deadly to fish. What are your other levels? Ammonia? pH? salinity? temperature?
How long did you have the fish? How long has this particular tank been running?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The ntrite is definately a problem and will cause labored breathing and even death in fish. Why do you have nitrites?

sluggo

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
That nitrite level is a little scary. Nitrites are pretty deadly to fish. What are your other levels? Ammonia? pH? salinity? temperature?
How long did you have the fish? How long has this particular tank been running?
PH 8.1
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.23
Temperature 80
Tank has been up since about March when I upgraded from a 45 to a 90. Iused all of my live rock and sand plus the water. The first fish to die was only in the tank about 7 or 8 days. The second fish to die was in it for about 2 or 3 months. The Lopezi has been around since I had my old tank.
Don

sluggo

Originally Posted by Beth
The ntrite is definately a problem and will cause labored breathing and even death in fish. Why do you have nitrites?
Beth, I didnt think that .25 on Nitrite would kill fish. I know that it is not good but I didnt think it would be deadly. I do not know why the level of Nitrites is up. What would cause to raise? Thanks.
Don

sluggo

Went down to LFS and bought enough Bio Spira to treat tank. Hope this works in time to save the Lopezi. He is one our favorites.
Don

duke jjz

how would you lower nitrites? I have a 75 fowlr that has about a .20 nitrite level. It has been like that for months with no bad results, but of course i would like to get it to 0. :thinking:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It can be deadly. It is not as bad as ammonia, but any nitrite is a problem to marine animals, can cause stress, and some fish may die, especially if the problem persists. What other explanation could there be for this problem?