Make up water quality

mudturtle25

Posted this to the "new hobbyist" my apologies for being redundant. I am looking for the appropriate water spec for salt water make up? I understand RO membrane filtration is a good step, these also remove chlorine and a whole host of dissolved solids, but also seeing some linking DI to RO. These are very distinct water treatments. Is RO at less than 10ppm TDS good enough? It seems a bit of a stretch that DI is needed post RO and then add all the salt(s), ph adjust, etc.? Thanks

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudturtle25 http:///t/397287/make-up-water-quality#post_3540854
Posted this to the "new hobbyist" my apologies for being redundant. I am looking for the appropriate water spec for salt water make up? I understand RO membrane filtration is a good step, these also remove chlorine and a whole host of dissolved solids, but also seeing some linking DI to RO. These are very distinct water treatments. Is RO at less than 10ppm TDS good enough? It seems a bit of a stretch that DI is needed post RO and then add all the salt(s), ph adjust, etc.? Thanks

Hi, welcome to the site.

RO/DI is the purist water. It is a filter system using both methods to purify the water. I personally only use RO water. Under 10 is indeed good enough..0 is perfect, but that is only achievable when the filters are brand spanking new....you would go broke and crazy trying to make sure you have a perfect 0 for change water.

There have been some warnings about people drinking RO/DI water because it does something to the cell structure...over my head to say the least, but there are controversies about if that's true or not, and people don't agree on whether or not that's a concern even if it were so. One argument is a fellow (pretty smart fellow) said he has used the RO/DI for many years with no ill effects. To that logic...it takes sometimes 20 years to get cancer from smoking...but that's just my take on it.

In the end...RO/DI is the best for your fish tank. I like the RO water because we drink, cook and make coffee with the water besides use it for the tanks.

I use a salt mix...1/2 cup per gallon to achieve the SG (specific gravity) I want. 1.026 or 35ppm is considered equal to ocean water... all salt needs to be churned (use a utility power head) in the RO water for at least 24 hours before it's used for the fish tank.