making a 125 reef

draconis321

ok i've got this 125 fowlr and im planing to make it in to a reef i have a 65 reef already and im going to tranfer the stuf in there in to the 125
and i was looking in to a calcuim reactor what does it do and how? do i need a sump?

natclanwy

A calcium reactor is filled with aragonite and uses CO2 to decrease the ph of the water inside of it to disolve the aragonite into usable calcium for the DT. I wouldn't worry about using one right away they really aren't a benifit until you have a large amount of coral using up all of the available calcium.
You can run the tank without a sump but the benifits of using one will have you kicking yourself later for not setting one up sooner.

coral head

Originally Posted by natclanwy
http:///forum/post/2898727
A calcium reactor is filled with aragonite and uses CO2 to decrease the ph of the water inside of it to disolve the aragonite into usable calcium for the DT. I wouldn't worry about using one right away they really aren't a benifit until you have a large amount of coral using up all of the available calcium.
You can run the tank without a sump but the benifits of using one will have you kicking yourself later for not setting one up sooner.
Ditto what he said.

natclanwy

What I was asking was did you decide to setup a sump and need to now what size pump you need to return the water back to the display tank.
A powerhead would go in your display tank, and the return pump would go in your sump if you set one up.
Here are some recommendations for both:
Return pump: Mag 9.5, Mag12, Quietone 4000, Quietone 6000
The exact size will depend on the type of overflow you use and its flow rating.
Power heads: I would start with 4- Koralias #4's and then add more if you need them.