Making a top speed run in my Corvette

sbsb

This is my plan for a top speed run. The plan is to make it as well thought out and as safe as possible. THIS WILL BE DONE ON A WIDE OPEN HIGHWAY (NO OTHER CARS) WHERE THERE ARE NO ENTRANCE OR EXIT RAMPS. THE ONLY PERSON IN DANGER WILL BE MYSELF! I'll have a spotter on a cell phone to watch out for law enforcement on the ground or in the air. I will document the run from 2 digital video cameras. 1 from the in car perspective and the other as the car approaches and passes the camera. These are my preliminary ideas so far. Top speed should be between 160 and 175MPH. My car has a 3.15 rear end so I’m not sure how that will affect top end. Chevrolet has documented the C5 at 170 (I think, give or take 5) on a test track.
BTW, If I don't post the results of my top speed run you will know it didn't go as planned.
This is an intake mod I'll be doing soon. I'm also lowering the car 1" and installing a catback exhaust.
This is a rundown of the air intake mod:
Summation: Cut a rectangular hole in the lower radiator cover, install a screen and then the scoop shown below. Both the screen and the scoop will be under the car and not too far from the radiator. The scoop's plastic material will keep rradiated heat away from the filter at low speeds.
Details:
After spending quite a bit of time looking at radiator shroud cutout schemes for allowing cold air to reach my intake filter, I have come to a couple of conclusions:
1. K&N's FIPK design takes the conservative approach. They require that you create a flap that opens up to the opposite end of the airflow, protecting the air filter from water intrusion, but not encouraging a strong airflow pattern either.
2. Granatelli's approach is much more aggressive - their system includes a scoop that directs cold air through the cutout and at the filter (which is enclosed).
3. Opening up the fog light panels would bring in cold air indirectly, allowing it to mix with warm air before getting pulled through the filter. This is certainly better than not doing anything, but I consider this method to be a good secondary source, not the primary one.
Since I like the Granatelli method most, I feel that a screen is necessary, as a scoop with no screen may create a hurricane blast that could cause drivability issues
This is the Halltech stinger

Believe it or not, this will be used as the scoop and has been tested at 170MPH

This is the car

lovethesea

The only thing I understood is that you are going to take that beautiful car and open it up to about 160.................isn't there a safer way to do that? Maybe a race track? How much road do you think you need to get up to your top speed? Just wondering
:scared:

be safe!!

bradttu

Had my stock 95 vette (I don't have it any more) up to 153 on a two lane road. Out here in West Texas, it's easy to find long straight roads to "fly" down.

sbsb

Originally posted by lovethesea
The only thing I understood is that you are going to take that beautiful car and open it up to about 160.................isn't there a safer way to do that? Maybe a race track? How much road do you think you need to get up to your top speed? Just wondering
:scared:

be safe!!

The risk factor (safety wise) is the same on a legal track or flat road like I described. These cars are built for high speed. Even the tires are rated for more than the car is capable of. My only concern is LEO because I don't want the hassle and expense if caught. I still need to do more research to determine the length of road necessary to achieve top end and have sufficient room to slow back down. I can tell you this though; it will go from 80 to 100MPh in the blink of an eye.:D

D

daniel411

Originally posted by SBSB
The risk factor (safety wise) is the same on a legal track or flat road like I described. These cars are built for high speed. Even the tires are rated for more than the car is capable of. My only concern is LEO because I don't want the hassle and expense if caught. I still need to do more research to determine the length of road necessary to achieve top end and have sufficient room to slow back down. I can tell you this though; it will go from 80 to 100MPh in the blink of an eye.:D

Sounds like a good plan, best of luck in reaching top end and back safely, and eluding the leo! Remember to be careful with trees, ditches, and signs.

sbsb

Originally posted by Daniel411
Sounds like a good plan, best of luck in reaching top end and back safely, and eluding the leo! Remember to be careful with trees, ditches, and signs.

:)

tony detroit

Good luck. I had my friends at 145 when we were up north in the sticks, but the road was kinda hilly and I backed off. It still had plenty more though. Do you have the 6speed or the auto? With all the mods I would guess you bought the six speed.
Nice ride. Have you seen the C6 on the road yet? I live right by the GM proving grounds and have seen 3 manufacturers plate cars driving around, no paint or nothing, but they look very smooth. Seen a few ford GT's around too, they're pretty slick as well.
Have you read about any of the vette's Lingenfelter has put out? They're pretty slick, he's a good builder. Best of luck on your run.

nicky1.8t

high speeds are scary exspecially on a bike i got to 145 on my 954 got scarred and backed off. i had plenty left to go but im not fan of high speeds on 2 wheels

tangman99

SBSB,
It's a blast but be careful. You should be able to hit 170, maybe a little more. My greatest speed to date in my 2002 Corvette is 162, but it still had more. I just ran out of road. I have the 6 speed with 3.42 gears. Be prepared for some very loud wind noise. I don't remember how long or how much road it took me to get there as I was busy concentrating on driving. I know from quarter mile times that I can hit 107 mph in 12.8 seconds.
I have the Breathless Ram air system and Corsa Indy Pace Car exhaust with X-pipe so it breaths really well.

tangman99

My Breathless Vortex Ram Air System. Keep in mind with this type of system, you do run the risk of Hydro-Lock.

sbsb

Ill try to answer all the questions if I can remember them all.:D
It's a 4 speed stock auto trans. (my wife can't drive stick) I don't like the look of the C6, Lingenfelter makes great engines and I would love to have a blower installed by them, no I don't want to race, I'll watch out for trees that jump out in front of me. Just being a smart ass:D Really, thanks for all of the kind comments!
I'm familiar with the Vortex system. The intake we are designing also has the potential for hydro lock, but the car never goes out in the rain so that is not an issue.

sbsb

TRULY, THANKS FOR ALL OF THE KIND REMARKS!!! I was just trying to be funny in my previous post.

Hopefully god will be my copilot and I’ll come out the other side unharmed.

tangman99

Originally posted by tony detroit
Will the auto go as fast as the stick?
What is the top gear ratio of each?

I'm not sure, but I think they are both rated at 175 mph top end. The Z06 is actually rated slower at 171 mph because it has a 6 speed with different gearing to help in the acceleration side. The final drive ratio is lower than the regular 6 speed.
I think both the automatic and the 6 speed are pretty close at top end. The 3.15 gears are higher ratio than my 3.42s, but my 6 speed has a taller final drive. For stock versions of both, the 6 speed will accelerate faster and get the quicker because you have more gears which gives you lower ratios at the low gears for faster acceleration.
For the 6 speed, 5th gear is the one that gets you to 175. When you hit 6th gear, the wind resistance actually overcomes the ability of 6th gear to go faster. 6th Gear will drop you back down to around 164. 6th gear is so tall that at 93 mph, I'm only turning 2000 rpm.
I did look back at some calculations where someone was trying to calculate the 0-175-0 times for the C5 Corvette and someone actually noted some threshholds. It was stated that if you accelerate from a dead stop, you will just be breaking 150 mph at the 1 mile mark.

D

daniel411

Nice license plate!
For everyone who find childhood glee by playing in the tripples... lets be happy that our cops don't have cars like the italian cops...

gkp

I say go for it. I have ( well I had it untill yesterday) a very built C4 top speed I have driven it is 165 and it gets there very quick. It has 373 gears in a dana 44.:cheer: :cheer: :cheer: LOL