making your own live rock?

okay. don't laugh, but an lfs told me that you can make your own live rock by simply adding calcium to the water. soungs too good to be true.

killafins

I'll try not to laugh, but I have never heard about that from anyone before. It does sound too good to be true and probably is. I am pretty sure that if that was that simple than everybody would be trying it and it would be all over the place. Do some research on it, i just have asked alot about LR and never heard of that.

jtroutine

probally what he ment was to buy some lr and some base rock as the lr will spread to the base rock. Yes that does work and yes calc. is good for your lr BUT you have to have some actual LR first!!! Not a stupid quiestion especially when it is generated from what lfs told you, some of those lfs suprise me that they are still and buisness:D

killafins

that wound make sense. U can also buy live sand, just a small bag and buy other non live sand (to save money) add some calcium and the sand will all become 'live' and then add a piece of live rock and some other 'dead' rocks (i just don't know what else to call them) and soon ur entire system would be live... lol

demosthenes

Originally posted by killafins
hey, let's not ruin the facts with details, lol

I like that one, so I'm stealing it.:cool: Hope you don't mind.

tangtang

Kinda: You can really make your own LR by forming a mold in sand and pouring concrete in it. Garf.org has an article on it. You'd have to seed it with other live rock of course; but, it's an awesome idea for custom pieces! I'm gonna try it when the concrete guys are here for my new side walks. Ha Ha! "Hey fella! Can I have some of that concrete?" LOL!