Malachite Green?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Catawaba
Anyone have any experience with M. Green in a reef? THANKS
Malechite is NOT safe for ANY invert. Ich is an invert, anything that will kill ich will kill your valuable inverts as well

seannmelly

Anyone have any experience with M. Green in a reef? THANKS
I don't think it is reef safe. Whenever I've experienced an outbreak of ich, I used malchite green in a QT only and for external parasites Formuline 3 as a 20-30 minute dip. I have a hard time adding anything to my reef tank! I personally would never add anything to my reef tank in any medication wether it claims to be reef safe or not. I rather be safe then sorry and set up a QT cycled or not to treat. If it is cycled you will have an easier time, if uncycled you will have to watch your levels because they will sky rocket in an instant.

catawaba

Long time trusted LFS recommended it for my reef--hippo tang with ich. Everyone else fine. Tank's been going well for over 3 years.....Hippo started out as 1" and is now 6".....I thought that M. Green was sort of 'fishy' to suggest....Pardon the pun.

catawaba

Suggestions to get tang out of large reef? I simply cannot 'catch' him. This is my very first ich outbreak in over 3 years....I'm a bit rusty. QT is at the ready if I could just catch the fish....

seannmelly

Best way to remove M. Green from QT once finished?
The only way I can think of is it totally break down the QT, clean w/ vinegar and water mixture and set back up and cycle again. IME m.green is similar to copper, the m.green I used stayed in the silicone on the tank I used until I cleaned it.

catawaba

I believe I'm going to have a stroke! I cannot believe my LFS recommended M. Green for my reef! :mad:
I've been working with the same person for over 4 years.... UNREAL!
Does it stain the rock and sand too?

seannmelly

Protein skimmer?
IMO, it will collect on anything and everything. The powerhead I used in my QT w/ m.green I cleaned w/ water and vinegar because originally it was from my DT. I have no idea why they would recommend it to put in your reef!!! ONce again, another bad lfs that gives a bad name to a good lfs!!! No effective medication is reef safe for anything(corals or any kind of inverts!)

sepulatian

Originally Posted by seannmelly
IMO, it will collect on anything and everything. The powerhead I used in my QT w/ m.green I cleaned w/ water and vinegar because originally it was from my DT. I have no idea why they would recommend it to put in your reef!!! ONce again, another bad lfs that gives a bad name to a good lfs!!! No effective medication is reef safe for anything(corals or any kind of inverts!)
Absolutely correct
Ich is an invert, you cannot kill one invert without killing all inverts. Malechite does stain your silicone and will be absorbed by your substrate and leech out later. NEVER use malechite or any other chemical in your system. If that was used in your reef you can say goodbye to everything but your fish. Don't take this post as rude because I certainly don't mean to be, but NOTHING will kill ich without killing your inverts that you want to keep. Now do you have ich in your display now? Do you have a cycled qt that you can use to treat? we can certainly walk you through this issue.

seannmelly

I work at a lfs, and I have alot of sypmathy for them on here, but there are ALOT who ask for the backlash they get on here! I would go back and ask whoever recommended it to be added to your reef tank and ask them why the recommended it when you have corals and inverts! And ask them what they think it would do to them!!!

catawaba

QT set up and cycled. Will never go to LFS again..not even for dog food. They're a local business that just celebrated 35 years Bought my first tank there a long time ago.
I had to go out of town, so I guess I was in panic mode. Will have a lot of tearing down and cleaning up to do when I get home Sunday evening. I am such a fool.

xdave

Be aware malachite green is very dangerous for pregnant people. It is easily absorbed through the skin and can cause many birth defects as well as cancer.

catawaba

Yes. 240g glass tank, 4 year old reef GONE. Will I have to trash all the live rock/sand? (400 pounds live rock, 200 pounds sand) I know the sps, softies, lps, anemomes, clams, crabs, snails, shrimps, pods, feather dusters, starfish, conchs, etc are all dead. I'm just sick....cannot believe I listened....I grilled him on the fact I had a reef with LOTS of life...and he KNEW this--he's been helping me with it all along......
Will have to move fish and tear down entire tank and scrub.
1 hippo tang
1 flame angel
2 ocellaris clowns
1 bicolor blennie
1 mandarin
5 dartfish
1 diamond goby
1 fairy wrasse
1 chalk basslet
1 royal gramma
OMG!

catawaba

Clark's Here in ABQ...I'm literally SICK about this.....4 years down the drain, I feel HORRIBLE for all the crabs, corals, critters, snails, shrimps, etc..... I've taken the lives I promised to protect....
:mad:

efarm10

I am really sorry to hear about this. I to have received some bad information and some bad fish from some stores in the area. I would call Max at Petes Pets in Santa Fe he's the best up here have had real good luck with his stuff. the place I was using was Coral Island off San Pedro in Abq. They have recently moved and are close to being back open. The bad thing is Rob, is not going to be at the new store. That guy really knew his stuff. If there is anything I can do to help let know.