Male Clownfish Not Eating As Much

lefty

Hello everyone,
I've had a pair of Ocellaris clownfish for going on two years now. They've always been healthy and have eaten well. In the past 2-3 days, the male hasn't been eating nearly as much. When I feed them, both of them go to the top of the tank and the female usually gets the majority of the food since she is more aggressive. The male still gets his fair share though. Lately he hasn't been going for the food as much. He still comes to the top of the tank at feeding time, but he'll start going for a piece of food then stop and will only seem to eat it if it's dropped directly in front of his mouth. Most of the time though, the female beats him to that piece of food and takes it from him since he isn't going for it quick enough like he used to. Should I be worried? He still seems to have an appetite. He hangs out at the back of the tank more than he used to as well. I've seen him twitching around the female lately, a sign of mating. Would this have any affect on his appetite? Thanks in advance! :happyfish
-lefty

merredeth

I always start anything when it comes to problems by taking water parameters as once that is elimintated then I go forward with other possibilities. Have you taken them yet and what are they?
Denise M.

lefty

Yes, I have taken them and they are all where they need to be. No ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates. Salinity at 35ppt, water temp at 83, pH 8.2. Water quality has never been a problem with my tank =)
-lefty

lefty

I should also note that he is missing a small piece from his dorsal fin--something I attribute to the aggression of the female (she has done similar damage to him in the past).
-lefty

merredeth

Do you soak the food in fresh garlic or Garlic Extreme for about half an hour?
Usually, if one soaks the food in garlic they go nuts over the food. Plus, there is an added benefit of boosting the immunity.
Denise M.