Malu and Sebae or Malu and BTA

scott t

I was wondering i am just starting out in SWF and soon will be putting up my tank. (I know i should wait 6 months to add them) just was wondering if you could put a Malu in the same tank as a Sebae or a BTA?? It is going to be a 55 gal reef with live sand and live rock a few fish and corals and have a Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights (48" 432 watts 8-54 T-5 Bulbs and watt 4 lunar lights (SlimPaq 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps ). just wondering if i can put them together???
Thanks

btldreef

Originally Posted by Scott T
http:///forum/post/3150388
I was wondering i am just starting out in SWF and soon will be putting up my tank. (I know i should wait 6 months to add them) just was wondering if you could put a Malu in the same tank as a Sebae or a BTA?? It is going to be a 55 gal reef with live sand and live rock a few fish and corals and have a Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights (48" 432 watts 8-54 T-5 Bulbs and watt 4 lunar lights (SlimPaq 460nm Actinic and 10000°K T-5 HO lamps ). just wondering if i can put them together???
Thanks
Technically the Malu (sp. Heteractis malu) and the Sebae (sp. Hetaractis crispa) are the same, it's just a color variation. Both are much more difficult to keep than a BTA. I two green BTA's and one rose BTA as well as a mini carpet anemone. I've had others, including the Sebae that just didn't do well for one reason or another. I'd stick with the bubble tips, (especially since you're not doing metal halides) there's different color variations and clowns normally take to them.

scott t

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3150451
Technically the Malu (sp. Heteractis malu) and the Sebae (sp. Hetaractis crispa) are the same, it's just a color variation. Both are much more difficult to keep than a BTA. I two green BTA's and one rose BTA as well as a mini carpet anemone. I've had others, including the Sebae that just didn't do well for one reason or another. I'd stick with the bubble tips, (especially since you're not doing metal halides) there's different color variations and clowns normally take to them.
BTLDreef thank you again you are being so much help to me becuse you are the only one that every seems to answer my posts...
You are always qucik with good advice..... THank you so much again

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3150456
BTLDreef thank you again you are being so much help to me becuse you are the only one that every seems to answer my posts...
You are always qucik with good advice..... THank you so much again

no problem ... just here to help
I wish everyone did as much research as you are doing before they started their tank.

scott t

Yeah i just want to make sure i get it all right and not mess it up i love animals no matter what kind they are and just dont want to be the cause of harm or death to them... just the kind of person i am ..... i want to know as much as i can about it before i jump in and do it ...... you know have to be educated before you start anything that is going to be a commitment to caring for another living thing.....
To many ppl take it for granted and dont realize that these other living things are dependant on you to care for them, and if you are not educated and know how to take care of them you are doing a dreat injustice to them. I think it is just wrong if you take them for granted because they are such beautiful creatures..... Learn Before you Start......

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3150459
Yeah i just want to make sure i get it all right and not mess it up i love animals no matter what kind they are and just dont want to be the cause of harm or death to them... just the kind of person i am ..... i want to know as much as i can about it before i jump in and do it ...... you know have to be educated before you start anything that is going to be a commitment to careing for another living thing.....
Although I do not recommend buying livestock from ***********.com, they have a great listing of how to care for fish, coral, anemones, and inverts. It's a great reference tool, take a look.

lmecher

Scott~ You are doing your homework first, comendable!
Welcome to the wonderful world of reef keeping

Mixing species in the same system is not recomended. You will have a greater chance for success sticking with one. Allopathy, chemical warefare that you will be unawear of untill it is too late one or both will decline. I will mention that some folks are successful keeping more than one species and may disagree.

scott t

Originally Posted by Lmecher
http:///forum/post/3151660
Scott~ You are doing your homework first, comendable!
Welcome to the wonderful world of reef keeping

Mixing species in the same system is not recomended. You will have a greater chance for success sticking with one. Allopathy, chemical warefare that you will be unawear of untill it is too late one or both will decline. I will mention that some folks are successful keeping more than one species and may disagree.
Thank you and yes I want to be very Educated before i start anything, and yes i was reading that its not a good thing to keep more than one Species in a tank the size i want. It went on to say that you can keep more than one of the same Species in the tank the size i want as long as you have a well established Tank. I Thank you for your insight and help its good to know that there are ppl out there that love the hobby and are willing to help others.

lmecher

It is addictive, I am in the process of setting up yet another tank. I think I am obsessed but don't want to open that can of worms.

There is a lot to digest as you begin but eventaully it all get easier. We are fortunate to have these forums to share and go to for help. Always great people here willing to lend a hand.
Good luck