Man Made Global Warming is Confirmed

bang guy

Psych
I have no horse in this race. I do think it's a distinct topic from Global Climate Change though.

bang guy

Personally, I believe oil is too expensive for us as an energy source and is cripling our economy.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3431948
Personally, I believe oil is too expensive for us as an energy source and is cripling our economy.
Realistically it is still the cheapest solution out there... On a side note, you should see how far they go to comply (or get around) environmental regulations. Check this out... Shell (because it is impossible to do this onshore) is starting to build an 11 billion dollar offshore terminal, it is going to be 488 meters. There is no way this is the cheaper way to go, unless you factor in the additional costs involved in trying to work with the environmental wackos. IMO 3 dollars a gallon is probably less than 1 if they didn't have to build refineries offshore, or drill in 8,000 feet of water and spend 5 years jumping through regulatory hoops to get an approval to run your drilling platform ...

michaeltx

very true. but the personal financial is a big enough hit going into personal lives and tax dollars then it puts it so far over the top of not being worth it
Mike

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3431965
Realistically it is still the cheapest solution out there... On a side note, you should see how far they go to comply (or get around) environmental regulations. Check this out... Shell (because it is impossible to do this onshore) is starting to build an 11 billion dollar offshore terminal, it is going to be 488 meters. There is no way this is the cheaper way to go, unless you factor in the additional costs involved in trying to work with the environmental wackos. IMO 3 dollars a gallon is probably less than 1 if they didn't have to build refineries offshore, or drill in 8,000 feet of water and spend 5 years jumping through regulatory hoops to get an approval to run your drilling platform ...
How many lives and trillions of dollars do we spend securing foreign oil? If we added that to the actual price of a gallon of gas then I do not believe it would still be the cheapest option. I'm not an opponent of drill baby drill but it doesn't make a big enough impact on our dependence on foreign oil.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3431971
How many lives and trillions of dollars do we spend securing foreign oil? If we added that to the actual price of a gallon of gas then I do not believe it would still be the cheapest option. I'm not an opponent of drill baby drill but it doesn't make a big enough impact on our dependence on foreign oil.
Vs what? You need to define a comparison, I don't think anything currently exists, that is a replacement to a barrel of oil. Keep in mind we don't use much oil/natural gas for electrical production. We use coal.
Also, we're sitting on a crapload of oil. Like never use it in our lifetime amount of oil. And a lot of it, is reachable using conventional methods, not oil sands etc, which is more expensive.... You're talking oil from Alaska, colorado, the great plains, south texas to off the atlantic and califonian coasts. Literally hundreds of billions of barrels of oil.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3431978
Vs what? You need to define a comparison, I don't think anything currently exists, that is a replacement to a barrel of oil. Keep in mind we don't use much oil/natural gas for electrical production. We use coal.
Also, we're sitting on a crapload of oil. Like never use it in our lifetime amount of oil. And a lot of it, is reachable using conventional methods, not oil sands etc, which is more expensive.... You're talking oil from Alaska, colorado, the great plains, south texas to off the atlantic and califonian coasts. Literally hundreds of billions of barrels of oil.
We have lots & lots of coal but you're right that it still wouldn't be enough if we changed our transporation energy from oil to electricity. Also compare Nuclear, solar, wind, etc. I think with an all of the above approach, including additional US drilling, we could be energy independent.
Why are we allowing other countries to drill and use our oil? You sound like you might know the reason behind that. It escapes me.

reefraff

Theres a lot of oil left in this country at 30+ dollar a barrel. Above 60 we are sitting on an ocean. Buying the cheap stuff from the middle east will end up being a smart move.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3431992
We have lots & lots of coal but you're right that it still wouldn't be enough if we changed our transporation energy from oil to electricity. Also compare Nuclear, solar, wind, etc. I think with an all of the above approach, including additional US drilling, we could be energy independent.
Why are we allowing other countries to drill and use our oil? You sound like you might know the reason behind that. It escapes me.
Nuclear is another energy production system, that is on the wrong side of the "green" movement... So, that doesn't count... But last I read, (with 30-50% subsidies in building, plus tax breaks and regulatory looking the other way) wind energy still costs around $00.16 cents a kilowatts. Vs 7-8 cents a Kw for coal and nuclear... I won't bother discussing solar... We do some "green" projects at my work, and there is no way that the projects would be viable if they weren't getting significantly funded by the gubermint.
They aren't "stealing" our oil so to speak. I'm assuming you're talking about Cuba's deal with China to drill off the coast of Florida. For all intents and purposes, the United States looks at the gulf as ours. And regulates domestic companies accordingly. However since that field it is close to Cuba, and Cuba make's claims too, that Cuba is the regulatory body for that area of water... And we don't care enough to go to war to stop them... And realistically they're entirely entitled to drill off their coast.

mantisman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3432007
Cheap? 10,000+ US dead and counting.
And that is why I am big on developing alternative energy. I am a proud military hawk, but I think the lives of our soldiers, sailors and Marines are precious-too precious to squander if we can become truly energy independent. I think we need to open up our resources here at home to solve the immediate need AND spend the money that we would be sending to fanatical goat-herders and communist dictators on alternative energy research. I don't believe it's all or nothing on either side.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/388844/man-made-global-warming-is-confirmed#post_3432007
Cheap? 10,000+ US dead and counting.
I'm not willing to say, we go meddle in the middle east for purely oil interests. However, to accept the premise, you realize why we'd have to get oil from the middle east? Because costs associated with environmental regulations forced us out of our own back yard. Sooo, who's fault would that be?