Mandarin Dragonet Question

laddy

Why is it that Mandarin Dragonet fish, who are difficult to even maintain in an established aqaurium let alone breed, cost less than an A. Percula on some online websites (hint, check the main page).

sepulatian

Good question. I don't think that they are hard to keep, they just need certain things like a very mature tank and unlimited pods to eat. Cleaner wrassies are VERY cheap as well. My distributor once had them for sale at $3 I still would not buy one just because they belong in the ocean and will die in tanks. They could have offered it for free and I would not have taken one.

michaeltx

because you pay for the name TANK BREED or AQUACULULTURED those 2 names will always cost you more. I wish it didnt but it does to me it should be less but there is a higher demand for tank raised items nowadays because of contentious keepers.
Mike

sepulatian

Originally Posted by MichaelTX
because you pay for the name TANK BREED or AQUACULULTURED those 2 names will always cost you more. I wish it didnt but it does to me it should be less but there is a higher demand for tank raised items nowadays because of contentious keepers.
Mike
Tank breed specimens now cost more? LOL I used to love buying from breeders. The fish were much healthier and they cost less. I have been out of the game for less than a year

michaeltx

I have aways had to pay a premium for tank raised. its unreal I could get wild cought percs for about 24$ but for tank raised it was 35$ or higher depending on the size of the percs.
Mike

laddy

It's nice to hear that, believe me. But I'm still wondering if they can't cultivate them, then the supply is coming directly from the ocean, I would guess. This fish is on my "one day when I have a 180g with a 100 refuge" list, but I see them in LFS all-to-often, and the next week their gone. I just find it curious that a fish which has specific needs as they do, which I assume most perish in the hands of 80% of aqauarists, they still are low cost fish. Kind of dis-heartening if you ask me. you?

michaeltx

have to agree. I have one in my 58 with a 20 gallon fuge but I lucked out tremendously and got one that absolutely LOVES fozen mysis shrimp and bits of regular shrimp. They are to easy to get and people arent told about how hard they are to feed so they are sold fast. another one that gets me is the morish idol I was told by a LFS that they would do great in my tank. ** I go in to a store acting like I dont know anything its the best way to feel the store out LOL **
Mike

sepulatian

I have aways had to pay a premium for tank raised. its unreal I could get wild cought percs for about 24$ but for tank raised it was 35$ or higher depending on the size of the percs.
Mike
It is probably your area. My distributors are in Jersey, there are 3 of them. There are also breeders of certain fish around. I guess the competition is why prices are lower here. I can see why it may cost more for tank breed fish. They have to take the time to raise these fish. Captured fish are caught. Most of them die in capture. I watched a show on Animal planet about capturing SW fish for resale. It was very sad, 80% of them die durring capture and shipping to distributors. They are not fed nor acclimated. Yikes, no wonder they show up in such poor shape!

michaeltx

yep.
it also depends on how far you are from the breeders and distributors. I have seen it this way in west Texas, AR, and TN so far.
Mike

sepulatian

have to agree. I have one in my 58 with a 20 gallon fuge but I lucked out tremendously and got one that absolutely LOVES fozen mysis shrimp and bits of regular shrimp. They are to easy to get and people arent told about how hard they are to feed so they are sold fast. another one that gets me is the morish idol I was told by a LFS that they would do great in my tank. ** I go in to a store acting like I dont know anything its the best way to feel the store out LOL **
Mike
You should see the morish idols at the distributor. They look lovely and they have many of them. I would never buy one of those either. The distributor tries to push fish that belong in the ocean. I am sure many stores are dumb enough to buy them. I made the guy mad when he pushed the wrassie on me and I told him that they belong in the ocean. He told me that they all do, I told him, "no, certain fish should stay in the ocean." LOL he didn't know what to say.