Mandarin Dragonette

clownfish11

i picked one up that is on a diet of mysis and black worms

-i saw him eat both of them in the LFS before i bought it-

michaeltx

congrats
just realize that sometimes when they are eating at the store they can stop eating once you get them in your tank so just keep an eye on him or her till you know they are eating in your tank.
Mike

grim_reefer

since it is already eating prepared food, wrap some mysis or even cyclopeeze in nori leaves and place at the bottom of the tank.. This will ensure that it has food pretty much all day long... They love to eat non-stop.. He will be fat as a cow in no time!

michaeltx

I has to break my tank down so I sold everything when I moved.
the males have a large up spin fin that will come up almost over the top of their head. its very noticeable when they do their flaring up.
Mike

J

jessed244

I would love to get one of these when my tank is ready, but I have heard that they are really hard to feed, if not eating mysis. What do they eat?

michaeltx

their main diet is copepods and amphipods and isopods most do not start eating prepared foods.
its recomended for tanks with lot of liverock and atleast 1year old for a good pod population.
Mike

K

kikithemermaid

My mandarin died after a day. I cried, I really did. Originally I thought it was because she had no pods, but a member on here told me not to feel guilty because there was no way she would starve in a day. Plus she was eating some mysis.
She was my first fish. Wish I had come here first instead of listening to some guy at my LFS who said a mandarin is a great starter fish. Please!

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2560771
i picked one up that is on a diet of mysis and black worms

-i saw him eat both of them in the LFS before i bought it-
That is great! How long has your tank been running and how much LR do you have? They may accept some frozen, but they get their nutrition from pods.

michaeltx

Originally Posted by kikithemermaid
http:///forum/post/2561145
My mandarin died after a day. I cried, I really did. Originally I thought it was because she had no pods, but a member on here told me not to feel guilty because there was no way she would starve in a day. Plus she was eating some mysis.
She was my first fish. Wish I had come here first instead of listening to some guy at my LFS who said a mandarin is a great starter fish. Please!
yeah it had to be on its way out already for one day I had a breeding pair but they never raised any out. I am realy going to miss them cause they were eating mysis and flake foods.
mike

tj51

They are way cool, but is it true that if stressed they emit a toxin? If not, the only hard thing is to get them to eat?

barngirl

I havee been wanting a Maderin for awhile!!!
Almost a year here know, on my small 30 gal, even my LFS told me they need an established tank of a year.
Yes, tons of live rock in that tank, feeding live copepods monthly now, whole bottle, tyring to build.
Is this right or wrong?
My 55 is up and running, as in, it has cycled, yes, fish in, and fine and dandy/HEALTHY!
Direction on getting this one ready for them is also welcome.
Thank you!

michaeltx

well if you can get the LFS to feed in front of you and they eat thats the best way.
do you have a refugium on your tank?
if they dont eat prepared foods your going to have to buy pods alot of pods because they graze all the time for the little bugs.
I would suggest a larger tank than a 30 gallon though for it they move alot around the tank when hunting and can demolish a pos population quickly so youll need a lot.
the best thing as I said above just make sure you get one that is already eating prepared foods then you can feed it other wise its likely to starve in a small tank.
I will pull of a vid of mine hunting in abit
Mike

barngirl

Thanks Mike!
Gotcha on the larger then 30, my 55 gal... start feeding it?
Also, no I do not have a refugium on my tanks, back to another need... ;)
Love to see the vid!!!