mandarin gobies

aceiswild7

they really arent gobies but dragonets and they are great for reefs but only if there is an abundance of live rock 100+ lbs with good growth of copepods on them which is what they eat
good luck

burnnspy

I recommend Mandarins for experienced reef keepers with refugium typr tanks since Mandarins are not able to compete for food.
BurnNSpy

fish fry

Just to take what's been said one step further and possible clarify a little.
The way to have all the pods is to have a large tank running for at least a year before introducing a Mandarin. A refugium and DSB would be very desirable, actually I would almost go so far as to say necessary.
Hope this helps
Tom

kimmisue

I have had mine since it's 6 month birthday...the tank that is . I knew there was enough live rock to encourage the live of it's food. Phyco is very fat and sassy.
They do better in a tank with alot of live rock and a sand bed is good also ...Make sure that there are no other fish with the same diet or have a tank large enough to allow for plenty of food for both.
Hope this helps
mine is a very colorful and fun addition to the tank...I call him the hunter because that is all they do...
Kim

vkesu

How long does it take to build up enough? food. I had one for 5 years, then it began losing weight...(possibly running out of food?) He ended dieing while I was on vacation. (yes, I'm the stupid one who left the air off in the house during 100 degree weather). I miss Mr.Pasley, but will wait years if that's what it take to keep one healthy.

aceiswild7

it should only take a few months maybe6 but if you want one fast hook up a refugium and the growth of pods in your tank will be jump started and it will help to suppement whatever he eats
good luck

galina

You do not need a large tank to keep mandarins. They would be perfectly happy in a 29 or 55.. BUT you *must* have lots of copepods and in a tank that small, a refugium is just about necessary. These are pretty difficult fish.
Galina

richard rendos

I have mandarins in both my tanks and both have done really well. The one in my 120 (green mandarin) is about 3 1/2 years old. The one in my 54 (psychedelic mandarin)is about 1 1/2 years old..maybe a little older.. and he eats flake, frozen brine, and anything offered him, but he also has lots of copepods running around for him to eat.

wamp

Vkesue,
You did nothing wrong (except for that whole air thing) A 5 year old mandarin is old for most tanks. From what I have read they usually live 3-5 years in captivity and then slowly die off. Maybe that is their life cycle? Any way I had one for around 3 years or so and the same thing happened to him. Cute little guys though..