Mandarin not adapting well

scotty37

Just moved my mandarin into its new, bigger, improved home... I found him this morning sleeping on the suction cups behind the powerhead, slammed in sideways... thought he was dead and then he took off. He used to swim around the rock all the time in the old tank, at the bottom, now hes either behind the powerhead or in the top back corner of the tank, pressed into the corner. This tank has a lot more flow, and much improved lights. You know how sometimes you can just tell if a fish is going to have a problem with acclimating into a new environment just based on their demeanor and behavior... well this would not be that time. This fish has been very sociable, peaceful, and fearless. I havent seen him eat anything yet. Hes otherwise acting normal, eyes moving around, no rapid breathing.. just seems a little P.O.-ed (as I would be if someone scooped me in a net and moved me away from home... I brought the clown with him, who has been very active... but also not eating.

scotty37

Yeah, 5 hours yesterday... was still very active in the bucket. He got caught in the stream from the return line when I put him in, which pushed him clear across the tank. Hasnt been active at all since. Id say hes seen 4 square inches of tank.
The clown is acting just like normal, but no eating.

petjunkie

Mine has been switched between two different tanks twice now and hides for a week each time, just stays in the back where he can't be seen. I'd give him a few days before I started worrying as long as it looks alright.

thirty5

I would not worry much. As long as he is eating then everything is probably ok. I put a hippo in my tank and he hid for like a week, and then bam he was out and about. He has to get used to his enviornment.

laddy

It does not pass my DNLR test.
Does Not Look Right.
What size tank?
Does he eat frozen food?
Great looking fish, but maybe one which is best looked at from the opposite side of a dive mask, 95% of the time.

michaeltx

fish do pout when they are disturbed from there comfort zones.
oscars I know FW fish are a prime example I have added a rock to there tank and they get ticked off and sulk for a few days and then try to get rid of the rock at times throwing it to the other side of the tank. I would worry about it but I would keep an eye on him to make sure he is eating and all.
Mike

laddy

but he shoudl be in the lower 1/3 of the tank, or on rocks, not on suction cups. I would worry.

michaeltx

nah mine loves to get behind the lip of my power filter at the top of the tank and hang out there he is fat and sassy and has been in the tank for about a year now I guess he is a comedian when i go to the tank he will flair all his fins and walk the tank till I feed him.
Mike

scotty37

Originally Posted by Laddy
It does not pass my DNLR test.
Does Not Look Right.
What size tank?
Does he eat frozen food?
Great looking fish, but maybe one which is best looked at from the opposite side of a dive mask, 95% of the time.

scotty37

He was still at the top of tank in the back, horizontal. He has not eaten at all so far, but looks and acts just like normal otherwise.

michaeltx

ok I was going to say if you did you can move some pods over to the other tank. I think he will probably be alright in a few days though just keep an eye on him and watch to see if he starts to eat you can also try hatching out some baby brine to maybe intice him in to eat just feed a few hours after the start to hatch so they have as much nitrients as possible.
Mike

scotty37

hes still up in the corner. moving around it instead of pinned up in it tho. acting otherwise normal, just not eating. plenty of pods around.

scotty37

Better news. Hes left the upper corner of the tank and is scaling the back wall... still havent noticed him eating however, but he doesnt act as freaked out.

michaeltx

I think your going to be alright he is adjusting to the tank as he starts to feel more comfortable he wil move around more and more.
Mike

scotty37

hopefully he starts eating soon. Moving around the back wall well, not descending all the way to the bottom tho. Plenty of pods back there where hes at, hes just not interested in them right now. In the last tank, all day he was picking at pods. The clown is eating readily tho.

scotty37

Hes finally made it all the way down to the bottom. Hes patrolling the sand now. STILL havent seen him eat any of the pods, which are everywhere. Hes acting otherwise normal, but I thought this morning his colors looked quite pale.