Mandarin question

drewster

Like usual, I was admiring my tank. I was watching my mandarin swim around and then all of a sudden he stopped and sprayed white stuff from two little holes in his head. What the heck did he do? It definately came from him and the white spray lasted about 3 seconds.

drewster

Just seemed like he was trying to find a mate or something and was expelling sperm or something. Just odd to see it happen i guess. I've never noticed it before.

drewster

I got this mandarin by mistake. I asked my parents to go out and buy me a golden head goby and the LFS didn't have one. The LFS guy somehow talked my mother into this mandarin even though its not truly a goby. He said it was. He also said it was a beginner fish and only requires a little bit of rock. At that time my tank was only set up for about 2 months. I didn't think it had a chance but it seems to be getting fatter and I have tons and tons of copepods in my live rock. He's finding food somewhere. I'd love to get my hands on a female one assuming this one is a male. But I hear its hard to determine its ---. I guess you can tell by the dorsal fin or something like that.