Mangrove

zeke92

Ok so i've had this mangrove since my florida trip with my dad it's pretty tall now but i had to mvoe it to my big tank because of some issues with the 18g. it's been in there atleast a week and my fish and inverts have loved picking the wierd white crustaceans and the algae off of it. but all of the sudden today the two main leaves fall off.
there is two smaller leaves and just today i noticed two even smaller leaves coming in. is this natural cycle to let go of the big ones when new ones come in?
fish that could have been a problem are mollies or my puffer. but i've not seen any mess with the leaves and both fell off the same day.
whats goin on? is it dying? the new leaves look healthy and the lighting should be enough for a mangrove to survive.

jbird0420

as long as you see new growth in the center they will be fine. The old leaves that have fallen off have seen there life cycle, as long as there is green in the center, they should take off.

aquaknight

What's the salinity difference between the 18gal and your big one? How did you acclimate it?
I only ask this because I've read mangroves are super-sensitive to salinity shock. This, personally, doesn't make any sense, since many, many mangroves are found in small tidal pools and rain puddles, where salinity varies by the hour and they're growing and thriving.
The leaves do naturally fall off time to time. Have you been cleaning them? They need sprayed with freshwater and wiped clean with a paper towel to get any salt spray/creep off of them.

zeke92

it's not tall enough in the 55 to stay out of the water, so all salt creep is still...salt.
and the new growth looks great so if the leaves naturally fall off then i won't worry. one fo the leaves was getting brown at the top aswell when it fell off. one root goes through the rock it was stuck between and the other root is huge, i had trouble getting it to stay int he sand when i switched it ><

jbird0420

Originally Posted by zeke92
http:///forum/post/2705274
it's not tall enough in the 55 to stay out of the water, so all salt creep is still...salt.
and the new growth looks great so if the leaves naturally fall off then i won't worry. one fo the leaves was getting brown at the top aswell when it fell off. one root goes through the rock it was stuck between and the other root is huge, i had trouble getting it to stay int he sand when i switched it ><

Try this, guy at my LFS uses styrofoam and cuts holes in it, places the mangroves seeds in the styrofoam holes and allows it to float above the water, while the roots stay submerged. It also prevents the roots from getting up into the groves in a sump or tank, from which I understand can bust up your sump or tank when the roots get bigger.JMO

jursula

I had the same problem with mine. I had it in the sump with the light and sand and special mangrove mud, and it was doing well for 5 months, and then all the leaves fell off and the stem just turned brown. I also was wondering how they grow in the mud in Florida without such a care that they got in my tank?

jursula

Do you know by any chance if its illegal to bring couple mangrove seeds from FL to a different state? I mean not like huge box but two-three seeds?

kingsmith

i ONLY THINK TAKING FOREIGN SPECIES ACROSS COUNTRY LINES IS ILLEGAL, as long as it is not an invasive and threatening species to the native wild life don't worry.

A

alexmir

I read up on it, and i am pretty sure that taking a mangrove plant from florida is illegal, but taking the cigar shaped seed pods off the ground is not.

also, they are VERY sensitive after they have started sprouting leaves, i dont think your supposed to move them much after their leaves start sprouting.

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2719805
I read up on it, and i am pretty sure that taking a mangrove plant from florida is illegal, but taking the cigar shaped seed pods off the ground is not.

This is true.

jursula

Originally Posted by alexmir
http:///forum/post/2719805

also, they are VERY sensitive after they have started sprouting leaves, i dont think your supposed to move them much after their leaves start sprouting.
Thank you very much
My brother in law is coming over to NJ from FL and I was thinking to ask him to bring some mangroves over, they sell them for the crazy prices in NJ. I guess he can bring some seeds with no problemssss