Mangrove

timo

OK... I've seen this on some sites, and a store here sells them.
What's the deal with 'em. Does anybody out there have them? How are they properly used? Setup and all...They seem cool, but why would I want to do it?
Thanks
Tim

timo

OK, I'll assume an agreement on the Caulpera, but the systems I've seen look really neat with the tree thing and all...Like an ecosystem.
Of coarse they will do the nitrite thing, but is it worth it? Has anyone done this? I'm not hooked or anything, but do have an inkling.
Is this an expensive ordeal? Must one allow an awful lot of space above the tank, or are they prunable to a decent level? How deep of a tank can they be placed in? So many questions...I really want someone that has done this to respond (although ALL responses are appreciated!) And thanks, Jarvis. Everything to help learn is good.
They must not be that much of a thing...Almost noone has one in their sig, And I've never seen 'em in a store display (except one good store here in Pensacola, I'll ask them also Wed when they open.
Tim

jarvis

From what I recall in the reading I did a long while ago they are a freshwater plant that has the ability to filter out the salt. They can grow out of the water as long as the root system is reciving nutrients. Placement for depth shouldnt be any issue at all. They dont reqiure a lot of light, but much like alot of plants more the better. I cant see any reason why it would be expensive to set up. You might want to type in mangrove on a general search engine and it will lead you to some helpfull sites.