Mantis in Glass?

D

daniel411

For anyone who keeps a mantis, in a small tank.
Have they ever cracked your glass? Or do you just use acrylic or plastic 20g L's to hold one?

offshore80

I'm sitting here typing and in the back ground I hear poping on the glass of my 20 gal with 18lbs LR a Clarkii clown, Big bubble tip anenome, fire gobbie, scotter blennie, 2 emerald crabs, 15 red leg hermits, 3 feather dusters, bunch of snails & a large neon blue hermit.
Question: If that tapping is a Mantis is he going to start killing stuff and if so how do I get that lil sob outa there?
Sounds like a rock tapping the glass. I can't find him.
help!

D

daniel411

Well deffinately going to consider a small acrylic, or just scrap the idea of a mantis tank like I scrapped the idea of a sea horse tank. Oh well.
I've heard that filling a bucket with your aquarium water and raising the salinity to about 40, instead of the normal range, than place in your live rock a piece at a time. Will get any creatures to jump out of it... trying to find less salty water. Look it up, I think in the reef forum a few days ago.

Offshore, how long has the tank been set up ? Have you added any new rock recently ?
You could have a pistol shrimp,If you had one you would see a decline in the hermit population and he would make short work of the emeralds. (mine goes thru 10 hermits in about a month)
If you have one they can be a real challenge to catch. Next time you feed keep an eye on the rock and see if you see something poking his head out to be sure.