mantis

millerman

i saw on like the discovery channel that a full grown mantis is able to break the glass on your tank when stunning it prey is this true or has anyone had this happen before? or hesrd that they have the same effect as a.22 caliber bullet when they strike.

my way

Supposedly all true, I got one as a hitch hiker in some LR about 20 yrs. ago. I would hear the clicking sounds and noticed fish disappearing, so I did some research and found out I had a Mantis. I took a piece of rigid airline tubing and started exploring the rock looking for him. I stuck the tubing in one crevice and WHAM, I pulled it out and the end was shattered, so I definately believe they could break at least 1/8" glass. I would like to set up a tank for a peacock one day. They are very cool looking.

aw2

Breaking the glass is true, but you'd have to find a pretty big, adult Odontodactylus scyllarus (Peacock Mantis) to do it. I've only heard 2 or 3 actual happenings of this, but it is quite possible.
When it does happen, it is mainly caused by one thing....not having a deep enough sand bed, for them to burrow. They'll dig through the sand, reach the bottom of the tank and give it a whack, to keep burrowing, and will break the glass.
I've kept a few, over the years, and have had them strike glass...but never broken it.
And yes, the velocity of which they strike their prey is the same as a .22 bullet, from a pistol.

celacanthr

No, I am pretty sure that it is the force of a strike, not the velocity."The force of the strike of a large Californian species approaches that of a 22 caliber bullet, and is capable of breaking double layered safety glass." (from LGS)

space_geek

Thats awesome! I never knew they had that much force! How difficult are they to keep? Could I keep one in a 20 high?

celacanthr

a 20 gallon long would be better. but I think you could keep a N wennerae in a 20. I am pretty sure that a peacock mantis wouldn't fit in a 20 hi. AW2 would know better.
P.S. In february, I am getting a N. wennerae
. very beautiful. to find a good pic of em, google "wennerae". tell me that isn't beautiful!

celacanthr

oh, also the paecock's aren't the ones with the force of the 22-calibur bullet, nor are they the ones that can strike at 30-meters-a-second, either though.

space_geek

WOWZA!! That is GGGGOOORRRGGEEOOOUUSSSS!!! If AW2 tells me that a 20 high is okay, I am setting up a mantis tank with that kind in it! BTW, are they escape artists like some crabs are?
Adam

celacanthr

no, they are VERY poor swimmers. Some people even keep them without lids! I am gonna use a lid cause I am paranoid though :). Oh, and MAKE SURE to include either LR, or something they can use as a hidey hole. If you need me to, I can point you to some very good resources for them, and lots of information. I already have your email, so just say the word.
Oh, N. wennerae
, is fine in even a 10 gallon tank! A 20 gallon should be excellent!

space_geek

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
no, they are VERY poor swimmers. Some people even keep them without lids! I am gonna use a lid cause I am paranoid though :). Oh, and MAKE SURE to include either LR, or something they can use as a hidey hole. If you need me to, I can point you to some very good resources for them, and lots of information. I already have your email, so just say the word.
Oh, N. wennerae
, is fine in even a 10 gallon tank! A 20 gallon should be excellent!
Awesome!! Thanks for the info...and they wont smash my glass will they? Should I have like a 5 inch sand bed? And my email changed... SpaceGeek_13@yahoo.com Thanks in advance for any info u can give me!!

amandal

If you're planning on getting a N. wennerae, your tank will be fine. I have 3 N. wenns living happily together in a 75gal reef, and I can tell you that they stay fairly small. These guys definitely prefer rock burrows to sand burrows, so be sure to provide lots of rockwork. If you can pick a couple pieces that have holes in them already, this will give them a good headstart. Also, throw some rock rubble in there so he/she can move stuff around and build with it.

aw2

O. scyllarus would be fine in a 20gal. high, but it would be a lot of wasted vertical space. I'd go with the suggestion of a 20gal. long.
The biggest Peacock I've ever seen was a 7" female, at Shedd Aquarium...but, they'll usually not get bigger than 5" - 6".
It is a good idea that you keep a top on the tank. They dont swim often, but they are capable of short bursts of speed and I lost a 5" female Peacock by it jumping out of the tank.
CELACANTHr can point in the direction of the forum I call "home". I've been there for a few years and have over 4,000 posts there. We have the best mantis forum you'll find anywhere and many people that are experts, when it comes to keeping all species of mantis.

space_geek

Originally Posted by AmandaL
If you're planning on getting a N. wennerae, your tank will be fine. I have 3 N. wenns living happily together in a 75gal reef, and I can tell you that they stay fairly small. These guys definitely prefer rock burrows to sand burrows, so be sure to provide lots of rockwork. If you can pick a couple pieces that have holes in them already, this will give them a good headstart. Also, throw some rock rubble in there so he/she can move stuff around and build with it.
How much do the wennerae mantis shrimps run??

aw2

It's tough for wholesalers and stores to get an accurate guess to the species.
Alot of the times, they'll just be labeled as "mantis shrimp" or "assorted mantis".
Your best bet is to check LFS. Find one and take pics of it and then come over to Grim and have some of our guys look at the pics and they'll be able to tell you the species.

space_geek

If I just get a peacock off this site...what do I feed it? And do I need to worry about it smacking and shattering my glass? And how deep of a sand bed do I need? THANKS!!
Adam

celacanthr

N. wennerae really aren't capable of this kind of force. But since you have a tall tank, it won't hurt, to have a DSB. :)
Oh, but at one seller, they are like below 10 bucks for a N. wennerae
, I can point you toward it. I forgot to link that one to you, so I will point you to it l8er. :)
Oh, and youve got mail!

aw2

Originally Posted by Space_Geek
If I just get a peacock off this site...what do I feed it? And do I need to worry about it smacking and shattering my glass? And how deep of a sand bed do I need? THANKS!!
Adam
Krill, squid, silversides, pieces of fish...and, hermits and snails, to watch the carnage.
Sand bed depth, I'd go with 4" and provide a piece of PVC, with end slanted and dug into the sand with live rock on top of it.

amandal

N. wennerae come in as hitchikers on Caribbean and Gulf Coast live rock. If you can find a LFS that regularly imports this, then you may be able to get them cheap. I can get them at my LFS for $2.00 plus tax. This sounds insane, but I'm in Florida. (Unfortunately, they don't ship). N. wenns are usually very inexpensive compared to other species, so you shouldn't have to pay too much. The difficulty will just be finding one in Michigan.

amandal

Mine LOVE krill. They get one small krill each, every other day if they decide to poke their head out at dinner time. The snails and hermits (cleaning crew) are always available for the picking, and do disappear pretty regularly.