maracyn 2 in hypo

roggy23

is it effective and safe to add maracyn while lowering salintity or should i wait til im at hypo levls at 1.009SG

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can add it, but just extend the antibiotic treatment for a day or 2. Why do you need antibiotics?

roggy23

cuz my puffer has had hazy eye since i got him, its his right eye.
my trigger on the other hand might just have ick

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Postpone the antibiotic then. Fish frequently get hazy eyes with ich. See if the hyposalinity takes care of the problem. Also, go ahead and start feeding the fish food that has been soaked in garlic. Real garlic, not packaged product. Garlic has a mild antibiotic quality in addition to being effective with ich.

roggy23

well BETH, i have Kent Garlic extreme and Guarlic Guard by seachem are those the packaged products you are referring to, or will they be ok?
Also, when my puffer didnt have ich, he still had the hazy eye... hes add it since ive had him... 5-6 months
you still recommend me postponing the maracyn?
thanks for your reassurance

roggy23

2 weeks into hypo and the fish are ichless but puffer still has hazy eye... should i start mracyn 2 treatment???
oh and as far as treatment do i just drop the

[hr]
in the tank?

elfdoctors

Hi Roggy! That puffer has been through a lot.
I am not sure that ANY antibiotic will make a difference. If the eye has been cloudy for several months, permanent scarring has probably already occured. A corneal transplant or cataract repair are probably the only things that would work now. (Good luck finding an eye doctor willing to operate on your fish, lol.)
To answer your specific question, Maracyn2 tablets can be added directly to the tank or to your sump. They dissolve easily.
I know Beth prefers real garlic. I usually just use Kent's Garlic Extreme as it is much easier and I have had good results.

roggy23

so elf, should i not even bother with the antiobitic or should i give it a shot anyway?
also i use 2 garlic products - garlic guard is what i soaked my frozen foods with and i drop kent garlic extreme into the tank water... what's your method with kent and is it just as effective by dopping the garlic liquid into the tank water???

roggy23

beth, the puffer had ich, hes been in hypo for 3 weeks now and hes fine, i just wanna get rif of his hazy eye...
well i already started the antibiotic treatment just now with maracyn 2, hope it clears his eye up :notsure:

elfdoctors

Originally posted by roggy23
so elf, should i not even bother with the antiobitic or should i give it a shot anyway?
also i use 2 garlic products - garlic guard is what i soaked my frozen foods with and i drop kent garlic extreme into the tank water... what's your method with kent and is it just as effective by dopping the garlic liquid into the tank water???

It will be interesting to see if the Maracyn2 works. I predict that it won't because I would expect that long term haziness is from a permanently scarred condition. I don't think you will do much harm to your tank by trying it however.
I have used the garlic guard but it tends to be so messy. I am surprised that it doesn't come with a dropper.
Garlic Extreme is so much easier to use. I use a few drops on food (combined with Zoecon) when I have the time. More often I put approximately 1 drop for every 10 gallons into the tank periodically (it averages about 1-2 times per week) as a general tonic.
Good Luck with that puffer! Perhaps you could give us a picture some time.