marine betta question

enyates

Anyone have a marine betta??.... I have had mine for less than a month, and I think I have seen him twice. He hides alot, and sometimes I wonder if he is alive. I have alot of rock for him to hide in, but I dont know if it is eating??... is there a way to make sure he is eating?..

loopy

Betta's prefer minimal water movement and powerheads are not good if you have a betta. That may be why he's hiding..maybe to much current?

jamon_b

Loopy - I've been trying to find you. You're from WI in Rice Lake, right? Email me - jamon_b@yahoo.com - I am about an hour away. Did you say you had some things you want to get rid of? I just started so I need EVERYTHING...

enyates

I didnt know about them not liking power heads and current.... I have a good amount of current in my tank, I believe... I have about 60 lbs plus of live rock for him to hide, and I feed my fish a combination of flakes, and granules (fish food, of course) twice a day, and maybe once a week they get frozen shrimp and the frozen fish food blocks. (brine shrimp, emerald entree, and squid)
Just not sure if the betta is getting any of it.

guineawhop

to be honest with you this is one of those fish that might have been a good idea to leave in the lfs. these guys either do really well or not at all. if they are not eating before you buy them chances are they won't after you buy them. these guys are very shy and can last a while without eating. chances are he is still alive but probably not for long. besides you should be feeding him krill. something with substance to it unless he is very tiny.

enyates

actually, I bought the marine betta from this site... He/she is beautiful. I rearranged my rocks so I can see him better... still not sure if he is eating, but I guess if he has made it this long, he is a "fighter"

scubadoo

How many fish are in the tank? THey are slow eaters and prefer live food. Unusual for a Grouper but these guys are defintely picky. Try spot feeding if you can....getting the food close to his hang out.