Maroon 4 Vs Me 2

sw65galma

Ok so if you saw my other thread about my maroon ruining my 54 corner bow
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/176162/maroon-clown-destorying-my-tank#post_1293170
He dug up sand everywhere he could find it.. Point 1
So i layed rock covering the sand bed...I have almost 1,000lbs of LR at my disposal And I wasn't afraid to use it...
I put in a lot of LR and covered most of the sand...he found little spots I missed and clouded the tank again. Point 2 for him
So I piled 150 lbs in my little 54, completly filling it...No areas hah! Point 1 for me.
I noticed his anemone missing... :mad: I had it at the top for light...The little brat grabbed it and pulled it in the WAY BACK UNDER ALL THE ROCK!
I had to remove about 100lbs of lr to get it! Point 3 for him.
I put the rock back in...moved the anenome so that he couln't take it....Point 2 Me
He found 1 spot i missed and is currenlty kicking up so much sand I can't see the rocks again
Point 4 him..
It's not looking to good for the humans...lol

My gf was like "honey what are you doing" and i'm like :mad: grumbling and talking to myself...and was like "leave me alone"

ynotminot

hahahahahahhahahahaha...that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.. you know.. i was having a really bad day ..and that just made it better...thanks

hot883

SW65, :cheer: That's a riot. Ha! Almost as funny as that other thread earlier.
Some ppl's kids,
I have never seen or heard of a clown being like that. Whatya gonna do now? (Give up) Ha! So his demands were placed on the table; you rejected them; and now look what he's doing. Just brake down and get him a date!
:happyfish

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Batman1820
whoa maybe you should just return the clown and get a new one? You have one weird clownfish
I took him from a local who was moving and couldn't keep him. He's huge..like 4" x 3"
Tons of personality. he loves his anenome...I give him a large piece of shrimp and he takes it down to his anenome and feeds it cutest thing ever...
Then he gets food for himself...But he likes to be under alot of rock and takes his anemone with him lol...Which then leads to bleeching...
This anenome has been hard core..3 times it's been in the dark for a few days and bleeched...I found it and ran my lights for 24/7 to get the color back in it..
The tank has been so cloudy i fear for the anenome again... light can't get through..

sw65galma

Originally Posted by ynotminot
hahahahahahhahahahaha...that is one of the funniest things I've ever heard.. you know.. i was having a really bad day ..and that just made it better...thanks
You were having a bad day? I got beat by a little fishy

vejomatic

so....how does the clown actualy "move" the anemononme? :notsure: I have this hillarious picture in my head of a small child dragging his blanket around the house and throwing a fit whenever he/she can't find it.

nomad

A 54 gal tank with 150 lbs of LR sounds like a West African cichlid's dream tank to me.
Those really love LR, only the fresh water variety, of course.
Wish you had posted a pic. It must have been a sight!

I feel for you in this battle. I've been there, only in my battles I had the advantage of my opponent being a cichlid which meant my substrate was much larger than sand and I did't have to worry about an anemone. Poor anemone!
Isn't it amazing how large a rock a little fish can move and how far it can move that rock? :thinking:

mr_bill

I love the maroons, and please don't take her back. She is really showing signs of being a pretty smart fish. It does sound like she's bored though, have you thought about getting a smaller maroon to introduce her to? If she's about 3" look for a 1.5" maroon companion.
She will get about 6" full grown and they can be the friendliest fish in your tank if you let them have their space. If you keep moving rockwork or fixing sand she will continue to make a mess, it's just how they are. They are stuborn and don't want their world to change in anyway even if it's to improve their surroundings.
If you stick with her you will be rewarded later if you work at hand feeding and trying to be around her as much as possible. Mine don't fear me at all and if I stand right up against my tank the female will come right to the surface and stick her face about 1/4" out of the water and look at me. I swear she's smiling.

carshark

my percula does the same thing, when i open the lid to "his" tank he comes right up almost flipping out of the water, or swims back and forth right in front of me almost showing off it seems, but by far i hate to say this but your maroon is one cool fish, and this picture in my head of the maroon grabbing the anemone in his mouth and swimming all the way down to the bottom to say "ha ill show you" i love it, dont get rid of that fish, but yeah maybe try a companion....if you can somehow set up a camera to record this at night id love to see it, im sure you would as well, good luck

still laughing really hard that is one cool fish.

sw65galma

Originally Posted by vejomatic
so....how does the clown actualy "move" the anemononme? :notsure: I have this hillarious picture in my head of a small child dragging his blanket around the house and throwing a fit whenever he/she can't find it.

That's exactly it...he picks it up with his mouth and drags it where ever he wants it...
And when he can't find it...he gets mad...

sw65galma

Originally Posted by Mr_Bill
I love the maroons, and please don't take her back. She is really showing signs of being a pretty smart fish. It does sound like she's bored though, have you thought about getting a smaller maroon to introduce her to? If she's about 3" look for a 1.5" maroon companion.
She will get about 6" full grown and they can be the friendliest fish in your tank if you let them have their space. If you keep moving rockwork or fixing sand she will continue to make a mess, it's just how they are. They are stuborn and don't want their world to change in anyway even if it's to improve their surroundings.
If you stick with her you will be rewarded later if you work at hand feeding and trying to be around her as much as possible. Mine don't fear me at all and if I stand right up against my tank the female will come right to the surface and stick her face about 1/4" out of the water and look at me. I swear she's smiling.

Honeslty that's the only reason i've even gone through this much trouble...
he or she is so cute when im not battling..
How can you tell if it's male or female?

mr_bill

Originally Posted by sw65galma
Honeslty that's the only reason i've even gone through this much trouble...
he or she is so cute when im not battling..
How can you tell if it's male or female?
She's alone so she's female, if you had two the more aggessive would stay female while the smaller one becomes male. Thats why you want one that is alot smaller than her.. if they are the same size they will just battle to the death in most cases.

minersj

Mr Bill, I think that is backwards. My understanding is that clownfish enter the world as male and the more dominant (and large) clownfish turn to female...
I do agree though that this particular clownfish is probably female based on size. I don't think that male clownfish get quite as big as the one you are describing!
Sara

mr_bill

Originally Posted by minersj
Mr Bill, I think that is backwards. My understanding is that clownfish enter the world as male and the more dominant (and large) clownfish turn to female...
I do agree though that this particular clownfish is probably female based on size. I don't think that male clownfish get quite as big as the one you are describing!
Sara

I'll have to go back and re-read some. I'm pretty sure it's the way I said, but you could be right.
If you had just one clownfish it should grow to a females size, so I would think that it would be female at that point.

mr_bill

Ok I think I have this right now. If you have one clown in a tank without other clowns it will turn female. If you have multiple young clowns then it's possible to have both sexes.
So his is alone and therefor female.

neoreef

This is what I've read:
Clownfish start out with undetermined ---. The most aggressive dominant one in a group becomes female , and the next most dominant one becomes her mate, the male.
If there is only one clownfish in a tank, it becomes female.
If the female of a group dies, the male changes to female and the next most aggressive from the undetermined group becomes the male.
If the male dies, the next most aggressive from the undetermined group becomes the new male.
Once a female, always a female. They cannot change back to a male.
Two females in the same tank will probably kill each other.
For what its worth.

sw65galma

Whatever it is...Either way it is a PITA lol....
Shes going back in her 46 today, cuz my 54 needs to be RE Set back up.

thirdchaos

I have the same problem with my maroon clowns. Its only female who is troublesome. In her domain (which is a 5''x5'' section of a 90 gallon tank) it is completely bare. From what I've heard this is somewhat common in maroons. I used to put the sand back, but now i just let her keep it the way she likes it. The hole isnt too visible and it keeps her from clouding the tank.
I hope someone can figure something out.