Maroon anemone splitting

gotpancit

Hi all, great forum you have here. First post. I just got introduced into this hobby about a month ago and bought an established 65 gal tru vu, 20 gal sump, berlin PS, quiet one 4000HH pump, with about 30lbs LR a maroon clown, striped damsel, yellow tang, a couple of hermits and a brittle star that totally disappeared somewhere.
Well last week I bought a Maroon BTA. It was about 5" in dia and looked really healthy. Drip acclimated it for 30 mins and dropped it on top of a rock next to a wall. Everything went well and the maroon clowned loved it. Took all but 20 minutes for the 2 to become friends. In fact now the clown doesn't do much of anything else but cuddle up in it. It's funny because when the stripped damsel goes by the BTA the clown darts at it to go away.
Today I noticed the BTA with a gaping mouth. From what I see on the forums this looks like its about to split. I checked on it about 2 hours ago during lunch and now I can't wait to get home to check it out. Anyways, I'll post pics when I get home. I hope it is splitting and not dying.
Sorry it this post wasn't much of a question, but more of a, "man this hobby is pretty cool" type of post.

dogstar

I hope yours will be fine but my BTA has split 5 times over 5 years and never showed a gapeing mouth befor splitting and always gets 12+ inches befor splitting......

gotpancit

check it out...sorry about the bad pics...camera battery was running out.

Its kind of hard to see the splitting of the bta...but its certainly splitting. I can see it a little bit more now. I think it got stressed when my return started blowing bubbles...oops i guess i need to check my sump more often. It doesn't help having a crack in your pump either!!! (Overheated and cracked Quiet One 4000hh
. blueline hd30x on order)

gotpancit

The lighting doesn't look too bright in the pictures because I set that way on the camera, and it came out darker than I thought because of the low battery.
Anyways, I have four 55wat PC lights. I dont remember the type of output they are though. I ran all 4 and it made the anemone kind of shrivel, so I toned it back to just 2 of them being on and the BTA likes it a lot more.

gotpancit

ok...really wierd. it's not completely split yet. It's been about 2 days, and its practically split but they are still attached on 2 sides by about an eighth of an inch.
I'll try and get more pics.