MAROON CLOWN EMERGENCY!!!

triggerfool

Help! I moved my maroon clown out of my trigger tank because he was getting picked on. I caught him with a net, and one of his cheek spines got caught in it. I got him out after a struggle, he seems to be doing fine, but the spines are sticking out. Is this normal, has anyone had any experience with this? Anyone?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Well, this is an example why it is better not to use nets.
Give the fish some TLC over the course of the next week and keep a close eye on the wound site. Offer him up good food with lot of variety. If he will readily accept garlic soaked food, then soak his food in garlic. At the first sign of trouble, you may need medicate with antibotics. Do you have a hospital tank, just in case?
Clowns are pretty resilent fellows so don't worry to much at this point. I had a very small perc get sworded nearly in half by a hippo tang once. I thought for sure he'd die. He didn't and in fact, the wound healed up so nicely that unless I looked with a magnifying glass, I could hardly tell he'd been sawed nearly in half.

triggerfool

1. I used some techniques i learned on ER to set him free. A combination of me using tweezers, and him shaking loose. Super stressful.
2. There seems to be no signs of injury, no blood etc. He just looks...different.
I sure wish someone would have told me about this cheek spine thing. Maybe, i dunno, the LFS that sold it to me!!!!