Maroon Clown Pairing

jrod005

I have one maroon clown in my ninety gallon tank and I would like to add another one to the tank if it wouldn't be a problem. I have read that maroon's are one of the most aggressive clowns and it sound to me that I shouldn't do this. The maroon that I have is about one and a half inches long and he has been in the tank about one month. Does anyone have any input or experience they would like to share?

omen nemzo

I have 2 in my tank. one about 3in and the other about 1 1/2in. The larger one was my friends that he gave me when he went to boot camp. They live just find together hosting in the same anemone. One thing i seen (somewhere on the net) that by moving live rock around can make them act more mello. You could put your qt tank nere the dt. dont know if any of this will help.

osuaquarist

You should make sure to get a fairly small one to insure that it is still a male, if both are females they will probably duke it out.

jewban

Ive heard that you would want to make sure that the clown you added was about 1.5 times bigger than the one you have now in order to assure that the one you have now will become male.
But thats not scientific or factual, just what ive heard.

vincent6396

I read up about it too but decided to give it a shot, I had a small male about 1in, added a bigger bout 2 1/2in, at first she took over his rbta and would beat him up constantly. I took them both out and put them in a 10g tank without the rbta for 3-4 days, then they got along fine no more agression from the bigger clown. So I put them back into my dp tank with the rbta already there, she went into it first then eventually let him in later that day. Now they both are in the rbta together since then. Hoping they mate later down the road, you can try this method and will never know until you try.

lmecher

You are lucky. I tried but it was unsuccessful. I even kept the tiny male seperated for about 4 days so they could get aquainted before putting them together. My female very large female killed the tiny male. I have decided not to try again, too stressful. : (