Maroon Clown?

joejoe

I was wondering could a maroon clown be well off in a 38 gallon tank?? I had two true percs but returned them today due to health reasons and saw a maroon that I liked alot. Any ideas??

beachbumtx

HIya!,
I do believe that the minimal size tank need for most clowns is 30gal. So your's should work out well. Just don't add any other clownfish.

I

ivanfj

I am just curious but even if your clowns are not that healthy, your LFS is still taking them back?? I don't get it. As for the maroon, they could be meanie a$$ to your other fish but your tank should be alright to keep one happy.

joejoe

Yes they took them back which was the right thing to do. They found out late last week that the batch of clowns from which i purchased from where used to cycle a tank by the distributor they purchase from. They learned that around 80 of the 100's of clown fish they had had ammonia poisoning so they ended up qt'ing the entire batch. Needless to say, they aren't doing business with the dealer anymore after they found this out.

billpa

other fish in general...they are agressive and get to be around 5 inches I believe...one of the meaner clowns...not great for the first fish to add to your tank unless it is the only fish...there are always exceptions are there are things you can do to acclimate new tankmates as to not piss off the maroon...that would include adding new fish when your lights are off and rearranging the rockwork prior to adding the fish...the maroon will have to reestablish it's territory...if the maroon has a anemone host, it will be even more agressive...pair of false percs would be better imo...hth
billpa

I have had a GS Maroon for 3 years in a 29 gal. he is about 3.5 in long. Mildly aggressive at times, but only near his favorite spot in the tank.
Gold stripes are thought to be less agressive than their white stripe cousins, but I think it depends on the individual.
Not all maroons are aggressive. Just like not all damsels are aggressive....but they can be.
I have used the moving the rocks around technique and I do believe it makes some difference. But mostly the other fish just stay out of the Maroons space.
They are beautiful fish with a lot of character...very active and fun to watch.

wablondie98664

i have a maroon clown also and the only tiime i ever see any agression is when one of the other fist disturb his home (he's dug a big cave under a piece of live rock)

gregvabch

my pair of GSM's are bullies. if i didn't love them so much i would get rid of them. i can't add any fish to my tank without the fear of them tossing them into the anemone.

toughguy80

My Maroon clown seems content to hang out near HIS green shrooms. To this point, there's been no aggression towards other fish even when the get right next to him:) Maybe I've been lucky.

aarone

I have a maroon pair in a 26 gallon...the love it..
Bang guy once told me that clowns will often spend their entire lives in a space no bigger than 12 inch cube