Maroon/Dark Pink Coraline Algae?

little fish

:eek: I have what I thought was dark pink/maroonish coraline algae, but now I am not sure after reading some other posts. It is growing all over the rocks and sand. Is this coraline algae or cynobacteria? Does coraline algae grow on the sand? It sure is pretty, whatever it is. My water conditions are great except for calcium has been somewhat high between 500 -550. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!! :D :D :D

@knight

im wondering the same thing about my tank. if its pink prolly not. but i hear conflicting things. I had always thought cyanobacteria was hair-like, i am wondering if it takes other forms.
would someone please clarify this. if possible some pics of cyanobacteria that looks like coraline would be helpful.

bbrook

If it is maroonish and kind of slimy looking it is most likely cyno. Coraline will be very purple/pink. Pretty hard to break the cyno cycle. Good water parameters and use RO/DI water for top off and water changes is the best way. Keep it off the glass and clean the rock/substrate often and it will adventually go away.
Are your Nitrates/Phosphates high? This could cause cyno also. As well as bad/old lighting.

-shawn-

One of the easier ways to tell if it is coraline algae is to take a good look at it. If it looks more like a dry pastel paint, which can range from a light pink (almost white near new growth) and a dark purple in color than it is probably coraline algae. However I had a similar occurence in my tank about two three months ago, where small purple-ish spots started growing and I originally thought/hoped it was coraline algae. Disappointedly it grew quick and was just a red algae (it was slimy or anything though). I actually like the look it gave my white rock so I put two extra snails in to help keep it in check and let it grow. And now it all over my rock and it made my tank look a lot more colorful. I also noticed that I was blessed with two small patches of actual coraline algae growing a couple of days ago.
I say if its not causing any problems and you like it leave it. Unless it is hairy or slimy than I'd worry. Good Luck!

piscesblue

Thanks broomer5, this is the stuff in my tank: Peyssonnelia sp. (maroon coraline). I didn't think it was coraline due to it's soft, velvety appearance, but that is definately the stuff in the pic. I have 5 different rocks in my 30gal with this algae and it adds a beautiful contrast in color with the purple and pink coralines. I'll be sad if it gets overgrown by the purple.

piscesblue

Are you guys sure this is coraline algae??? I just took a close look at my tank pictures and remembered that this stuff grows on my emerald crabs legs. I also have seen him eating it. I was just under the impression that coraline was calcium based and looked like a hard candy coating. I geuss this is one of the reasons we all surf this board, to learn something new.

@knight

yeah, i have it too and the crabs munch at it a little, its prolly sticking to their legs and not growing on it.

nosmada

i have the same thing growing in my tank. very velvety looking and rubs off very easy.and its growing rather fast.im going to take my lighting down an hour to see if that helps. kinda like a green slime that i once had. i dont believe its coralline.
chris