maroon with buoyancy problems

carpas

Hey all,
I need some help with my maroon clown. I've had it for about 2 1/2 years and haven't seen anything like this. She was acting normal until just after feeding. All I did was add some broken up flake and after eating, it seemed like she couldn't stay down in the water column. She would swim vigorously down and when she stopped, she would float back up. Could some air have been injested and now is causing problems. Will this pass or do I need to do something? I turned off the lights and it is taking a ton of effort for her to stay down where she normally sleeps. Any suggestions. Thank you in advance for the help.

carpas

So I went back and looked in Joyce's Clownfishes and she mentions something called floating bloat. It is known to happen when clowns are fed floating pellets and they have trouble staying down in the water column. In rare instances, it can happen with flake food. Discontinued use clears up the problem. Thoughts?

jdreef

hi dont worry about that that has happened to me too. What happened is that it "ate" some air at the sometime it was feeding. little by little the air would come out but you should help it by keeping in a net on the side of the glass so it wouldnt get out and stress out in trying to stay down. keep it in the net untill you see it starting to get better.
jorge

carpas

Thanks for the reply. I figured it was something minor, just wanted to make sure. Everything appears to be normal now.