Mass ***** Selling Inverts/Corals now!?!

1968oldsma

The local ***** in Holyoke mass is now selling inverts, starting two weeks from now, They are selling Large Cleaner shrimp at $14.99 Pepermints at $4.99, Turbo Snails (large) $2.39 Blue Legged Hermitts, For $1.39, THey are also selling some Feather dusters, Leathers, Button Pylops, And some others two but i'm drawing a blank, i dunno i know the guy that runs the fish side personally and is a real good guy who has a long history with Saltwater fish he is the one that pushed to have the coral's and stuff there so i'll be curious to see how they do around here those prices are rock bottom. So i might pick up some Shrimp and such for my nano just to see how they do.

carshark

interesting, i have a couple saltwater buffs at both of my near locations of petcos both within a 10 mile radius, itd be intersting to see if they sell those here, but wait im in iowa now, i figure it will take about 10 years to catch on here!! moving to dallas next year, finally back to normal life!!!lol

chipmaker

Our local ***** has a reef tank, (90 gal) and its meticulously maintained as is the marine fish......too bad I can't say the same about the freshwater fish.....but thier reef is loaded with nice stuff in it. They have not stocked any corals etc, but will order them for you and they deliver every Thursday morning by truck. Prices are not bad, but I do not relish buying a pig in a poke if I can help it. Guess its not any different than buying online when you think about it, but 2 miles up the road is Alabamas largest selection salt water critters, and that place has everything you can think of......in stock most times.Prices are a bit higher but his stuff is all top notch and great looking.....

drea

thats cool,,,,,,,,, don't think it will happen here cause the ***** peps are idiots

symon

I bought some damsels there awhile back,Not Good! I have seen whole fish shipments die in my local *****!

pbienkiewi

My Thoughts about Pet Co is........
Remember - ***** = Quarantine tank

pbienkiewi

My thought about ***** is

1968oldsma

Originally Posted by pbienkiewi
My thought about ***** is
Thanks chief, i think we get it

pbienkiewi

*****'s tank signs - under observance not for sale.
They run many tanks with the same filtration. This tank is not for sale but this one is...... They share the same water....... Why/how is this possable ?

merredeth

Originally Posted by carshark
but wait im in iowa now, i figure it will take about 10 years to catch on here!! moving to dallas next year, finally back to normal life!!!lol

I'm in northern Iowa which is worse than Des Moines - and I'm FROM Dallas - Fort Worth and it looks like I'm never gonna make it back there.

At least you get some sense of civilization NOW and get to go to Dallas.
When you see Arlington... think of me.
Denise M.

seahorse11

I have to write with a GOOD experience at *****. I was in the ***** on Providence Highway in Norwood, MA on Thursday. I was talking to the "fish guy" and he was actually knowledgable....yup I couldnt believe it either....but he really knew his stuff. After talking to him, I found out that he even has his own business maintaining SW and FW tanks for businesses and private homes. I was astonished!! Actually a person that KNEW about SW fish! I was so happy!! He has 2 SW reef tanks at home that he has had for 9 years. Well after almost 1 & 1/2 hours, I got quite an education. He gave me some very good advice on setting up my 125 gal tank and alot of hints about fish care and set up. The SW tanks were clean and the fish were healthy and had gorgeous color. He even fed the fish for me so I could watch as well as take the parameters for me to see. If anyone lives in the Norwood area I would strongly suggest visiting Paul at the *****. He is there only Thursdays and Saturdays. Since I am a newbie I had tons of questions. He didnt rush me and answered all the questions I had. Like I said, I was there almost 1 & 1/2 hours. While he waited on other customers I was looking at the fish and he came back to me when he was done. I didnt feel like I was taking up his time or was bothering him. He made me feel like he was there to help me and seemed more than happy to help a new SW fish hobbyist.
Congrats *****......Paul is awesome!!

jmick

I live in the Chicago land area and there are dozens of *****’s and I would not buy a SW fish or invert from any of them. I was at the one near my office a few weeks ago (picking up dog food) and I was shocked to find that nearly 75% of their fish had ICH (they have 10-15 tanks at this store with upwards of 50 fish). To make matters worse, one of their sales associates was trying to sell the fish in that condition. Their tanks were in terrible condition and their employees appeared to have little or no knowledge.
I’ll gladly pay more to buy my fish/livestock from someone who knows what they are doing and started their store because they have a genuine interest in the hobby!

littleliza

whether you're at your lfs, or at *****, or where ever, I think what it comes down to is knowledgeable people caring for the pets. I think that's where ***** probably gets the bad reputation, because all too often they don't have informed staff working. When they do, I'm sure they could have fine animals, provided that the corporation itself will allow for the necessary tools (i.e. not sharing the same water with all tanks). Store to store you will undoubtably find differences in quality, and that goes for ***** or any other store selling animals. When you get one store that specializes in one kind of animal, chances are they are going to know about their product: that kind of animal. If you get a store that deals in 100 kinds of animals, from hamsters to dogs to fish to whatever else is currently popular to have, you'll be lucky to get one expert in each area, and even that is unlikely. Take it for what it is, a corporation that provides a wide range of products usually at a lower price... but there will prices to pay going with that lower price, convenience, and diversity. It's no different than other multi-dimensional corporations, for example Wal-mart. You'll get a lot of things, a good price, but there will be a trade off for those conveniences. The difference is with ***** they are dealing with living things. Welcome to America.

carshark

so i went to ***** today to pick up a new Red Sea Test Kit, I ran out of many tests and figured it was time to just get a new one.... anyway, there was a 55 gallon tank cycling and it had a sign on it..."Live Rock Coming Soon" interesting......first time ive seen a ***** sell live rock... I didnt get a chance to ask anyone about it, because no one came to help me... suprise suprise....

reefnut

I wouldn't even buy fish food from ***** much less a fish. Every time I have been in any ***** their fish look like swimming death. I don't know if it makes me sad or just plain mad that these stores are allowed to treat fish the way they do...

carshark

Originally Posted by ReefNut
I wouldn't even buy fish food from ***** much less a fish. Every time I have been in any ***** their fish look like swimming death. I don't know if it makes me sad or just plain mad that these stores are allowed to treat fish the way they do...

agreed you should have seen a previous thread about "***** does it again" but, I had no other option and I am in hyposalinity and needed to do a water change and i ran out of PH, ALK, and Nitrate tests so needless they were the only place in town that had a decent test kit... i dunno about the "doc wellfish" aquarium pharmaceuticals salt test, nor the "mara...something dip strips, waste of money IMO, so the only decent test kit in town was a "red sea" test kit.. so i bought it, and had to go to *****... ---- that place!!! they had two regals on the verge of death, they had hawkfish, flame angels, coral beauty's, all on the verge of death, the only thing that looked healthy was a 3 in. snowflake eel, he looked really good, and he was sooooo tiny!!!!!!! lil guy was cool, i wanted to take him home right there, but of course i dont have an aggressive tank.....i wanted him so bad he was just a lil guy