Mating emerald crabs

marka1620

Anyone have success in breeding emerald crabs? I have 6 in my tank and just saw a big one grab a little one and started doing it (missionary position).
At first, I thought he was going to eat the little one. After a few minutes, they departed. Wonder what the odds of having babies?

donald

the odds are not very good if you have a protien skimmer. Most crustation young start off as free floatingswimming larve and will get filtered out, but you might be able to seperate the pregnant female in a tank that doesnt have a skimmer. Probably a something like what is used to raise clown fish might give you a chance to grow them out. I had a female and a male mate but nothing came of it. I have had snails reprocuce i my tank. I see the little snails crawling around on the glass from time to time. Good luck with the crabs, if you decide to go for it be patient.

xosux

I agree snails are hard enough crabs and shrimp are really hard because they are so vulnerable to being eaten or environment contamination.

fcatch76

I had the same thing going on in my tank, my male is much larger than the female and I thought it was going to be the end for her. Definately a sight to see.