Matt's 120g Build

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by MattFrancis
http:///forum/post/3227259
Thanks! The rock will be here wednesday. And do I need to cycle still since the rock is cured?
are you ordering it from a website? If so, I had this problem. I bought cured LR from a website and unless it is sent in water (mine was sent in a plastic bag with wet paper over it
) you don't have to cure it. But if it is sent the way mine came, wrapped in wet paper, you will need to cure it again.
and the experts can chime in and correct me!!

meowzer

I ordered mine...got it the same as you Jax....what I did was mix SW in a tote, placed the rock in there with a powerhead and a heater....checked the test results....The nxt day ammonia was like 4!!!!!! I changed some water out.....rinsed the LR really really good, and then added to the tank....
I had a very short begininner cycle....like 2 weeks
NOW if you have NOTHING in your tank, you can do that in the tank....it's up to you

nissan577

really amazing Matt!!!!
looking super duper amazing!
the aquascape is like woah! but i know with more rock its gonna be insane!
sorry i havent been around here. but i will be looking and following this baby daily!

mattfrancis

Thanks guys. I'm paying a local reefer that has a small "shop" and he sells cured live rock for $3 a pound. I'm super excited about this! I was unsure about the aquascape. I just want the fish to have caves and such. The piece in the bottom right will be almost a cave for a cleaner shrimp or pistol/goby pair. I think it'll look nasty.

Pics up on wednesday for sure to show new pieces.
-Matt

nissan577

no. ima go first to MDC for 2 years then FIU for 4
was thinking about Key west community college but too far and by my house UM has a marine bio campus which is amazing but again i think its private

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3228066
no. ima go first to MDC for 2 years then FIU for 4
was thinking about Key west community college but too far and by my house UM has a marine bio campus which is amazing but again i think its private

I really like FAU's marine biology program, but FSU also has it and my girlfriend's major is on the same campus.

ANd JAX, there are soooooo many. Ocean Direct has my business because of their awesome live stock, then literally across the street is FishyBusiness which I bought my tank from, they too have a great selection. A five minute drive from there has awesome coral tanks and seahorses :), their name escapes me right now.

jaxfishgirl

Originally Posted by MattFrancis
http:///forum/post/3228329
I really like FAU's marine biology program, but FSU also has it and my girlfriend's major is on the same campus.

ANd JAX, there are soooooo many. Ocean Direct has my business because of their awesome live stock, then literally across the street is FishyBusiness which I bought my tank from, they too have a great selection. A five minute drive from there has awesome coral tanks and seahorses :), their name escapes me right now.

I may have to make a special trip down there and hit up all the stores.

mattfrancis

Got 60 more pounds of cured live rock today.
Aquascape good or bad?
Pictures as promised:
1. After aquascape.
2. Left side.
3. Center.
4. Right side.

meowzer

Looks like you got some caves in there...are you sure you want the rock against the back wall like that? Otherwise it looks good to me
I have some rock against the back wall in my 225G, and it makes it really hard (or impossible) if I have to get something back there (usually it's just gone)

mattfrancis

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3230955
Looks like you got some caves in there...are you sure you want the rock against the back wall like that? Otherwise it looks good to me
I have some rock against the back wall in my 225G, and it makes it really hard (or impossible) if I have to get something back there (usually it's just gone)
Yeah, I have long arms
Nah I like the look of it against the back wall. I thought people did it like that?