Maxi-jet Mods

amadent

I have a 72 bow. Eventually want it to be a reef tank I have a cascade 1200 (about 350gph ) red sea prizm pro. ! rio ph about 400gph and 3 mj 1200 ( 295 each )on a wavemaker. Too much stuff in the dt. I want to mod at least one mj. Should I do a 1500gph or 2400 gph. I would like to remove some of the power heads. Do I have to worry about laminar flow? Right now my tank is doing well, so I'm a little nervous. 2 pepermint shrimp, 1 royal gramma, 1 maroon clown, 1 scooter blenny, 5 yellow tail damsels, 1 green banded star, and 1 cony amenome.
2nd question. Should power head be towards the top mof the tank? What would be the best way to set up pwerheads? I forgot have 85 lbs of LR. Alot to ask but thanks in advance :thinking:

bonebrake

It is cliché, but... "If it ain't broke don't fix it!"
For powerhead placement:
I would put one MJ 1200 in the center facing the front of the display slightly angled up for good surface agitaton and leave it on 24/7 and then have the other two MJ 1200 on each side of the display about half way down facing each other and have them turn on and off on 3-5 minute cycles so that when one is on the other is off.
:joy:

amadent

bonebrake you know you're right. Thanks for the set up advice . I'll set them up later this week. Good nite.

moneyman

I assume you have a 4-feet tank and sand. I would mod your MJ to a 1500 gph. The 2400gph version will create a nice sand storm.