Maxi-Jet Problems

lefty

After one of my powerheads burned out about a month ago, I decided to purchase a maxi-jet 600 to replace it since I'd heard such good things about maxi-jets here at SWF.
The first day I put it in, I was really impressed. It was quiet and seemed to be doing its job perfectly. The next day, however, it started making strange sounds. It has made them ever since and I have no idea what is causing it. It's hard to describe it, but I can tell you it's quite loud and annoying. I've taken it apart and cleaned it numerous times. All the parts look intact. I've made sure there are no air bubbles trapped in it. I've tried things like changing the direction of the flow and turning the powerhead itself in all directions to see if it changes anything (it doesn't really, except pointing it in some directions seems to make the sound occur a little less often).
The only possibility I can think of that might remotely cause this is that I have the powerhead at the bottom corner of my tank pointing upwards at about a 45 degree angle for surface agitation. When I have it pointing at that angle, the two little cut out sections that you line up in order to remove the bottom part are almost alligned. I've noticed that if they are perfectly alligned the bottom part will come off when you turn the powerhead on (poor design, in my opinion).
Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with it? I'm about to send it back to Marineland, ask for a refund, and buy another AquaClear.
Thanks for your input!
-lefty

lefty

Hm...well that's kind of annoying. How does anyone use them for surface agitation then, unless they place it directly under the surface? :notsure:
Thanks!
-lefty

rabid frog

Place the paddle thing on the end of the output nozzle upside down. Then you can direct the water flow up by aiming the paddle towards the surface.