Maxima help

meowzer

OK...I got a gold maxima last week.....it is small....BUT my Sailfin will not leave it alone.....he keeps picking it up and tossing it around..
any ideas on how I can place this clam safely????????????
The last place I had it I thought was good...it was left alone for 2 days....I almost lost it in a cave this morning too :(
right now I have it on the sand until I can decide, and when I turned my head the DARN SF was carrying it off

I am literally sitting here babysitting it

lil.guppy

Sounds like someone is playing soccer

Not sure if this will work but you can get some epoxy from lowes, home depot, or ACE called Loctite Epoxy and epoxy it to a rock then burry that rock under the sand depending on how deep your sand is. Or get a large fragging disk and epoxy it to the disk then burry the disk. Some have even Epoxy the clam to their rock work somehwere off the sand bed.

lil.guppy

Yea not sure I know I have heard of people doing it with success but I was thinking there is a spacific area on the bottom that you can use it either towards the front or back not sure exactly. I would have to look into it more

btldreef

You can glue/epoxy them, but it's just not recommended because most people over do it or put it in the wrong spot.
IMO, I would not glue it, because your fish might just irritate it more and kill it. If you do decide to glue it, put glue on the side of the shell, close the the bottom.
Maxima's can go in the sand. I've successfully done this in the past, just make sure that you don't have a goby that's going to bury it in the sand.
Is there any other tank you can put this in?
I know it might be tedious, but can you "train" your sailfin to stay away from it?

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3326440
Is there any other tank you can put this in?
I know it might be tedious, but can you "train" your sailfin to stay away from it?
If I have to I can put it in the 29G under T5's....
LOL...train the Sailfin......everytime I see it go near it...I chase it away.....so far since the one time this morning it has left it alone in the sand....I am scared to place it back on the top rock since I almost lost it in a cave :(
I do have the little golden headed goby, but it is small, and has stayed away...so far
the epoxy scares me, BUT.....if it is better off on the rock in the upper part of the tank, I may not have a choice
IDK....Do you think it will be okay on the bottom? I do have 250W MH and T5's

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3326446
If I have to I can put it in the 29G under T5's....
LOL...train the Sailfin......everytime I see it go near it...I chase it away.....so far since the one time this morning it has left it alone in the sand....I am scared to place it back on the top rock since I almost lost it in a cave :(
I do have the little golden headed goby, but it is small, and has stayed away...so far
the epoxy scares me, BUT.....if it is better off on the rock in the upper part of the tank, I may not have a choice
IDK....Do you think it will be okay on the bottom? I do have 250W MH and T5's
I'd glue it to a small rock and leave it in the sand, it should be fine there, as long as it doesn't get irritated anymore. If it has the rock attached to it, it "should" be happy with that.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3328534
Never glue a clam down IMO.
NO, I didn't...I remember readign that and was tthe funny thing is....Yesterday I was going to lift it off the sand a little and place it on a rock that I was "HOPING" it would be okay on
WELL....somehow it has attached to that rock....I think on that rock it has a little lip that is under the sand some.....so I am not gonna mess with it....
The only thing is it does not seem to be opening real full....OH it opens....it's sensitive to movement (which I have read is good)....Maybe it just needs time to recover...IDK

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3328558
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3328534
Never glue a clam down IMO.
NO, I didn't...I remember readign that and was tthe funny thing is....Yesterday I was going to lift it off the sand a little and place it on a rock that I was "HOPING" it would be okay on
WELL....somehow it has attached to that rock....I think on that rock it has a little lip that is under the sand some.....so I am not gonna mess with it....
The only thing is it does not seem to be opening real full....OH it opens....it's sensitive to movement (which I have read is good)....Maybe it just needs time to recover...IDK
If it's reacting to movement, it "should" be ok, especially if it has found a rock to attach itself to on its own.

meowzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLDreef http:///forum/thread/381704/maxima-help#post_3328570
If it's reacting to movement, it "should" be ok, especially if it has found a rock to attach itself to on its own.
Thanks for replying...I know you know a lot about clams....I have read in my books that movement reaction is a good sign......I just wish it would open more
Hopefully it will in time, and I also thought that the fact that it attached to something was also a good sign....cuz doesn't a sickly clam..NOT attach

btldreef

You are correct.
Just remember, if it's opening up too much, this is also not a good thing.
Can you post a picture of it?

btldreef

I wouldn't be concerned with that if it's still reacting to any movement near it, especially since it has been so stressed lately. If it still looks like that in another 10 days, then I might be a little more concerned, but not now. The mantle looks even throughout, so you should be fine, it just needs to be happy again.

meowzer

LOL...everytime I try to get near the tank...or walk into the room it closes like that.....if I peek from a distance, it is open more.....it does not want its picture taken I guess