MAXIMUM Bio load!

mystic7

And did you do what I do to properly cycle the tank? - drink a few beers and pee into it?
Yes! Plus I threw in a Yellow Tang. Hey, maybe WE should write a book. "The Unconscious Marine Aquarist".

bailey52

You know after seeing the name Chemi-Pure I looked it up, and it is the product I have been looking for for months now!!! About 6 years ago a LFS person told me to use it when i was having trouble with keeping fish in my 90, and I remeber after I put that in everything was GREAT! I dont know what it really does but it sure did work fantastic.... I just ordered some now, I also highly recomend this... it kept my entire system in balance, it almost felt like I was cheating

rygoodm6

i also agree with doing a little less helps....i stated off here listening to everything poeple said about "proper maintenance" and lost some fist...so i stoped doing so much...fewer water changes and stuff like that and havnt lost a fish yet...and that tank size stuff i dunno...i have a yellow tang in a 55g with a damsel and a clown and tang is doing great. he is about 4-5 in long and happy as can be

ophiura

I find these threads extremely frustrating. While it may work for you, in general, it does not work for most people. So I think there needs to be some caution in suggesting this.
Simple fact is that many of these fish - lets take the yellow tang - SHOULD outgrow smaller tanks in time. What exactly is a "happy fish?" I've seen pacing fish that people swore were "happy." I've seen fish with severe HLLE that people thought were "healthy." These are relative terms.
But this is a small volume of water and in the wild they are not found in this density. So why shoe horn them in? Now I know the argument will be "well its not the ocean anyway" but isn't there a line to cross? Is it all about how many fish you can keep ALIVE in a tank? I can keep dozens of cats alive, growing and reproducing in a house...but eventually the ASPCA will show up and take them away, living in their own waste, etc.
You CAN do it, and think the cats are more than happy (they are growing and reproducing after all)...but it is not right to do it.
I'm sorry, IMO, this is just not the best advice. These are closed systems, wastes accumulate, and there are no miracles, IMO, in the hobby. If things were dying during water changes then there was a problem with the water change and how it was done...not that there was a problem with the concept and they should be eliminated for the most part.
I understand there are different philosophies in keeping tanks, and sometimes this does work. But at least as often...if not more often, it leads to unhealthy fish and deaths. Packed tanks, true, are not in any way appealing to me. I will confess that. But I think it is worth saying that this could be a quick way to lose a lot of money. There are dozens of threads where people have clearly overstocked tanks and are losing fish, have bad water quality and can't figure out why.
All JMO tho.

grapefruit

Originally Posted by ophiura
I find these threads extremely frustrating. While it may work for you, in general, it does not work for most people. So I think there needs to be some caution in suggesting this.
Simple fact is that many of these fish - lets take the yellow tang - SHOULD outgrow smaller tanks in time. What exactly is a "happy fish?" I've seen pacing fish that people swore were "happy." I've seen fish with severe HLLE that people thought were "healthy." These are relative terms.
But this is a small volume of water and in the wild they are not found in this density. So why shoe horn them in? Now I know the argument will be "well its not the ocean anyway" but isn't there a line to cross? Is it all about how many fish you can keep ALIVE in a tank? I can keep dozens of cats alive, growing and reproducing in a house...but eventually the ASPCA will show up and take them away, living in their own waste, etc.
You CAN do it, and think the cats are more than happy (they are growing and reproducing after all)...but it is not right to do it.
I'm sorry, IMO, this is just not the best advice. These are closed systems, wastes accumulate, and there are no miracles, IMO, in the hobby. If things were dying during water changes then there was a problem with the water change and how it was done...not that there was a problem with the concept and they should be eliminated for the most part.
I understand there are different philosophies in keeping tanks, and sometimes this does work. But at least as often...if not more often, it leads to unhealthy fish and deaths. Packed tanks, true, are not in any way appealing to me. I will confess that. But I think it is worth saying that this could be a quick way to lose a lot of money. There are dozens of threads where people have clearly overstocked tanks and are losing fish, have bad water quality and can't figure out why.
All JMO tho.

Wow i thought i would never be saying this, but wow i have to agree with this 100 percent

aw2

Where, in IL, are you located?
I'm assuming you're in IL, since your friend comes over and his profile says he's in IL.

psusocr1

IMO its not cool to brag about how you "dont do anythign" to take care of your fish, and there doing great. I mean it works for you and by all means go with it, but i wouldnt brag, it might give some newbies bad opinions on how to take care of tanks. either way nice tank!!

masrogue

ophiura - great explanation of things - well said. And I agree!
AW2 - I'm in the McHenry area - you ever wanna come up, have some beers and watch the fish swim around just let me know. Always happy to swap stories with a fellow enthusiast.
psusocr1 - hmmm - if I was flambouyantly bragging I apologize. And those who haven't been doing saltwater tanks shouldn't attempt to do the things I do. I'm just fortunate to have an eye for good livestock, have a good idea of what temperments can be introduced in a tank at what times, and merely wanted to point out that it IS possible to maintain health, happy fish without checking your water levels every day or having umpteen differnt pumps, filters, additives, lights...whatever.
I've always had big bio loads in all my tanks - amazing success with them all - no illnesses, no psychotic stressed out fish, no one getting chomped on...it's all been pretty easy for me.
Like I said...less CAN be more...if done correctly of course.

aw2

Originally Posted by MasRogue
AW2 - I'm in the McHenry area - you ever wanna come up, have some beers and watch the fish swim around just let me know. Always happy to swap stories with a fellow enthusiast.

That's too bad...I just moved down to Southern IL, about a month ago, from Chicago.

rygoodm6

Originally Posted by AW2
That's too bad...I just moved down to Southern IL, about a month ago, from Chicago.

were in southern il

mystic7

Originally Posted by Bailey52
You know after seeing the name Chemi-Pure I looked it up, and it is the product I have been looking for for months now!!! About 6 years ago a LFS person told me to use it when i was having trouble with keeping fish in my 90, and I remeber after I put that in everything was GREAT! I dont know what it really does but it sure did work fantastic.... I just ordered some now, I also highly recomend this... it kept my entire system in balance, it almost felt like I was cheating
Some people here, the same ones who will tell you to test water hourly, do water changes daily, and put only one fish for every 1,000 gallons, already went on record as saying Chemi Pure is worthless and that I'm better off just using carbon which is cheaper, but I tell you the stuff is great. It puts negative ions into the water which is why the fish seem so calm. I love the stuff. I'm glad you found a source!

bailey52

Yea i dont know the science behind of what it does.. but when I used it, it ABSOL. made my tank very stable and nice.... I love it.

tennisace

Lol, I have had the exact same luck as this guy pretty much. I have had a tank for like 10 years (i was six and my parents got it for decoration) and finally after doing about 1 water change a year we checked the nitrates and they were off the scale, can u say blood red in color and +250 (probably plus 500). I have an original fish from the first month of my tank still, he is a maroon clown that is about 5" long. I finally fixed that tank, but it has gone crap again, but everything is fine. Guess we are just lucky.