Medication for Fin Rot

mrdc

Im pretty sure my purple tang has fin rot. Since I don't have a QT tank, I am target feeding him with seachem's neoplex. Basically I am putting the neoplex and fox in a cube of mysis, add some saltwater and let it sit for a bit while stirring it occasionaly. I know the stuff probably isn't invert safe but I am running carbon hoping to filter out any uneaten medication. Today is my 5th day and I will do a water change this weekend. I haven't noticed any change and was wondering if the medication is working, how long would it take to see improvement?
Also, I have read that kanaplex is actually better than neoplex for fin rot and I have ordered some. I would have started with it but no one carried it locally.
So,
How long before seeing improvement?
Do you think my method of delivery is even doing any good?
Thanks.

mr. limpid

Fin rot is not an infection its from poor water conditions or poor nutrition or both. Doing a water change was a step in the right direction. You need to post your prams. Also stop adding the seachem's neoplex and start adding vitamins.

mrdc

No sure if its the water and more of a bacterial infection. I dose all foods I feed with a variety of things: selcon, zoecon, vitachem, garlic, ...
I checked the params and ammonia, trates and trites are 0. Ca = 520, alk = 11, temp = 80. Not sure about phosphates.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post a picture of the fish's problem? We should see it if at all possible.
How long have you had the fish?

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdc http:///t/392360/medication-for-fin-rot#post_3483313
No sure if its the water and more of a bacterial infection. I dose all foods I feed with a variety of things: selcon, zoecon, vitachem, garlic, ...
I checked the params and ammonia, trates and trites are 0. Ca = 520, alk = 11, temp = 80. Not sure about phosphates.
I agree with what Jack (mr limpid) has said about the fin rot.
What is your ph? also alk is little high for my personal taste but it shouldn't affect too much as long as it's consistent.
Has there been a change in your tank that could have affected this?

mrdc

Ok, I will get a pic and check the PH. I did do a 20g water change and will start doing that about every two weeks for awhile.
My laptop is jacked up so I don't get online on the weekends anymore.