MegaFlow overflow surging a bit

f14peter

Have a 90g AGA drilled w/overflow, MegaFlow 3 sump.
Running a freshwater system/leak test (So far so good, sort of, not a drop of stray water and heaters/pumps/PHs working fine) and the water in the overflow fluctuates a bit (couple of inches), periodically sending a cascade of air down the drain into the sump. The water level in the overflow is about two inches below tank level and the top of the drain-pipe cap is currently about even with the inner lip of the overflow . . .

I fiddled with the height of the drain-pipe and while it sometimes made it worse, sometimes a little better, it didn't alleviate the surging. I even added/subtracted water from the tank, but that only affected the level in the sump.
I did a search and one suggestion to a similar issue was that the return pump was marginally outflowing the drain. I have a Mag7 with about a 4ft vertical, probably 5.5 ft total run so I figure I'm about 400+gph at the head. As most of you know, the overflow is rated at 600gph under ideal conditions, but I'm using the provided flex hose which mandates a loop before entering the sump. Is the ribbed hose and loop cutting down the flow so that it's less than the return pump?
First I had the hose like this . . .

Then moved it around to like this, hoping maybe the smaller loop would help with the surging, but it didn't seem to make much difference . . .

Because there's not much vertical seperation between the drain bulkhead and sump intake pipe, I'm not sure if I could fit a couple of 45-degree fittings with PVC/vinyl hose between them. If not, would a couple of 90-degree fittings with either PVC or vinyl hose be better, and possibly increase drain flow to address the surging. I also have a ball-valve I could put between the return pump and return bulkhead to cut down the pump flow.

andreyv

After changing it back and forth I found that this configuration to be the
quietest and gives me the least amount of bubbles. I found that to get rid of
the bubbles you need to slow down waterfall. Also fresh water test is not
exactly as sw test. If you fill your tank with sw it might give you different
(better) results. Also you need to give it a day or to "settle down".
At least it is my experience. It is the same Mega flow #3 as you have only I
have 75G AGA and my return is Mag 9.5 running without ball valves with
4-5ft overhead.
This is my first sw tank. May be somebody else more experienced has better
solution.
HTH.

dogstar

Bounceing water levels in the overflow is normally caused by lack off air from the adjustment. Not sure if that stand pipe can be adjusted but it looks like it needs an air hole in the top.

f14peter

Thanks all, this could be a "Er, never mind" thing as just as AndreyV and HelpMe suggested, it's diminished quite a bit over time.
Filled it last afternoon (Saturday) and by later that evening, it was really fluctuating and making quite a racket. Still doing it this morning when I posted, but didn't seem as severe. Been out for some hours (Saw DEPARTED, pretty good) and when we got home just about half an hour ago, the surging was nearly gone all together. Added a bit of water to bring the level up in the sump, and it surged/bubbled for a minute or two, then settled down.
DOGSTAR, if by standpipe you mean the drain on the left, it is adjustable (up/down) and does have an airhole within the small knob directly on top.
Still may fiddle with the hose configuration (Maybe using AndreyV's suggestion or something similar) as the noisiest element is the water between the bulkhead and sump.

hmello

I also have a 90 gallon pre-drilled with the Megaflow overflow and a mag 9.5 pump. When we initially set it up to do the leak test, it sounded like a washing machine in the middle of my living room! I had the same problem with the surging water level. I stopped by the warehouse of an online live rock dealer in Hollywood, FL, and mentioned my problem. The guy showed me how his tanks were set up. He told me to remove the adjustable intake pipe with the air hole, put a piece of egg-crate over the hole in the bottom, and fill up the overflow with bio-balls. I tried it and you can barely hear anything now! The water just trickles through the bio-balls very quietly! :joy: