Melissa's 15 gallon Leaf fish tank

melgrj7

On 4/14/14 I set up a 15 gallon (24"lX13"wX12"h), fish will be 1 Leaf fish (Taenianotus triacanthus). Added 20 pounds of fine live sand, Reef crystals salt, tap water. Filters are an aquaclear 20 with a foam block and chemipure pouch, and a penguin mini with a biowheel and phoszorb. In the evening, once the specific gravity was testing properly I added about 6 pounds of live rock.
Approximately 6 tiny blue leg hermit crabs came off of my live rock. I thought I had gotten all the hermits off the live rock (got it out of a tank of hermit crabs) but obviously not. I'm not really thrilled with the unplanned addition. I may try to fish them out, but I don't feel like taking all the rock out to do that.
I'm questioning whether or not to add more live rock, I know the general rule is a pound per gallon but the 6 or so pounds I have so far already takes up quite a bit of room. I don't want to take up all of the fish's "walking" room with rock.
I am planning to add for clean up crew:
3 Nassarius snails (to help keep the sand mixed)
7 Nerite snails
5 Trochus snails
7 Cerith Snails
I may do less than that, depends on how much algae growth I get. I won't be adding them until I do have some algae growing, and I can always supplement their food with dried algae I suppose (meat for the nassarius).
Planned maintenance:
a 3 gallon water change every 4 days using R/O water purchased from work.
Top off water will be R/O water as well
Equipment wish list:
24" Dual bulb T5
Eshopps nano protein skimmer (unless I find better recommendations?)
Tunze Turbelle nanostream water circulation pump
Once I get the light (end of the week probably) I will be adding mushrooms and polyps. Not sure if I am going to do anything else, its only going to be a double bulb light and I want to keep it fairly easy. Are there other corals that I could get in a small tank with only a double T5 light?
I was thinking of, in the future adding a small inline UV sterilizer (just hooked up to a power head). Any thoughts on whether these are worth adding, and any recommendations on a decent one that doesn't cost a fortune?
Needs to be inline, I don't want it in the tank and I don't have a sump.

Here is the tank today:

jay0705

The crabs wont hurt anything, so I would just leave um. The live rock. Its really up to u, I have 40 lbs in my 20 gal,25 in my 56 gal and about 70-80 in my 75 gal. I add a new piece now and then just to give the fish new stuff to nibble on. In your case there's no need for that.

melgrj7

I'm worried the leaf fish will try to eat the crabs and then get impacted from the shells. They also are kinda bad for killing snails, in my experience anyway. I've caught 4 of them, so I think there are only 2 in there now, which is a more reasonable amount for a 15 gallon. Should minimize the amount of snail killing that will happen in the future, hopefully. I probably will add a little more rock, but not much, the fish gets about 4" long, I want it to have room to move around lol. Maybe just a couple more pounds.

jay0705

If you give crabs extra shells. They generally leave snails alone. Idk about the leaf trying to get them tho lol

melgrj7

Well I managed to find all 6 of them anyway, so they are now outta my tank. My friend wants them for her 55 so they will be happier there anyway as they grow.

melgrj7

I got 10 snails today, 5 nerites and 5 . . . something else I'll have to look at work again friday I forgot the name of them. I also got a light today, we had a 24" light just sitting around at work so my boss gave me a good deal on it. It is a Deep Blue Solar Xtreme 4X24 watt (2 actinic, 2 10K). Probably a little overkill for my needs, but hey maybe I'll get some corals besides mushrooms and polyps now! Let the algae begin haha.

melgrj7

I got 3 more pounds of live rock from a friend who was taking down her 3 gallon tank. So I now have 9 pounds of rock. She also gave me her API reef master test kit and a salifert nitrate test kit as well as a small container of coral frenzy.

I also found 2 more blue hermits today while I was moving rock around to add the new rocks. Took them out, they are going with their brethren to my other friend's 55 gallon tank.

melgrj7

Today is day 4, did a 4 gallon water change using nutri seawater and sea-pure water (wanted the containers so I have something to bring home R/O water in). Added a little bit more live rock so there is now 10 pounds, also added a rock with some polyps on it.

melgrj7

4/20/14 A very small amount of diatoms showing up in the tank. I'm guessing from using tap water to fill it as everything is testing fine. Going to get some trochus snails tomorrow to eat it up, as well as a few more nerites and cerith snails.

The leaf fish

He blends in well

The polyps

the hammer coral