Meltdown!

It's been a bad day so far, but I am so very thankful that it wasn't worse.
I came home from work this morning after a particularly hard night to find the faint odor of something burning in my basement. My whole SW system is in my basement along with all sorts of other stuff I treasure. I looked around but found nothing, so like a total idiot I went out to feed my horses (etc), clean stalls and spread manure...usual morning stuff. Grabbed the ax on the way out to the woods to clear a little more of a new trail I am building. All in all, I spend about an hour longer outside with the horses than I usually do. Came back in to head downstairs to get the dogs fed, the tank dosed and so forth. I smelled the smoke before I even opened the basement door. I tore down the stairs in nasty smoke but couldn't find the problem. Shut down the whole system and everything else I could think of to unplug. Wasn't thinking too clearly...probably should have just gone to the breaker box and shut the whole place down.
After a few frantic phone calls, my friend came over to help me locate the problem. There were no flames and no hot walls and two of the circuit breakers had been tripped. Finally located the problem. Some of the electrical connections beneath the refugium had melted down for some reason quite spontaneously. It was a big melted down mess of rubber. Smelly stuff. Charred the inside of the cabinet pretty bad, but no fire I don't think. Outside of the cabinet is okay.
We fixed all the damaged cords, cutting off the melted plug (from the mag7) and put on a new one and replaced the others. The chiller is plugged into the same outlet but somehow seems to be okay. My friend tells me that the ground wire was bad due to build up of salt corrosion. I had a flood (40 or so gallons) from the fuge 2 weeks ago due to a loss of siphon from the CPR overflow and water had gotten all over the electrical connections (and everywhere else...gotta love those early morning floods). I had disconnected everything to dry it all off, but I guess I didn't get it dry enough. The result was a meltdown.
Scarry stuff. Somehow I have to get the smoke stench out of the basement. My husband will give birth to kittens if he finds out about this. I never mention the occasional floods either. The less he knows about the various disasters in the basement, the better. Nothing ever looks out of place or different, but the carpet has been saturated many times and now I've almost burned the house to the ground.
It's been an un-nerving day. I'm getting too old for this....

Originally posted by Kipass4130
would a GFCI outlet or adapter have helped?

Not too sure, but I don't think so. The flood was 2 weeks ago. I guess it took the salt that long to corrode the plugs and cause them to melt down. It is amazing how this sort of thing can fill a very large basement full of stinky smoke.
The plug is only helpful if things get wet...right?????
P.S. an electrician, I am not. :(
P.S.S. A plumber, I am not. Learning quickly though...usually the hard way...:(

Originally posted by DvSKiN
Wow Pheonix!! Good to hear that all is well atleast!! I'm happy that nothing in your basement was damaged, wether it fish related, or just stuff you cherish!! Keep us posted on how you make out!
DvS

If I don't post for a few weeks, it is because my husband found out and I'm locked in the dog house or sitting in divorce court...:eek:

wrassecal

Originally posted by PhoenixRising

My husband will give birth to kittens if he finds out about this.

Phoenix an awful tale with a decent result though! If your husband has kittens please post pics. If you end up locked in the dog house we'll come rescue you!

overanalyzer

Originally posted by PhoenixRising
My husband will give birth to kittens if he finds out about this. I never mention the occasional floods either. The less he knows about the various disasters in the basement, the better.

Hmm sounds like he is related to my wife .. of course she seems to be able to sniff out a spill even if I vac it up right away and leave hte windows open .....
Good luck! I'd go with a GFI if you don't have one!

Originally posted by Wrassecal
If you end up locked in the dog house we'll come rescue you!

THANKS!!! I knew I could count on you guys! The tricky part is that he was HOME when this happened. I was frantically trying to air out the house before he got up and noticed the smell. Thankfully, he didn't come to the basement. WHEW!

Originally posted by overanalyzer
Hmm sounds like he is related to my wife .. of course she seems to be able to sniff out a spill even if I vac it up right away and leave hte windows open .....
Good luck! I'd go with a GFI if you don't have one!

Thankfully, my husband works long hours and isn't given to checking out the basement too often. It is MY play part of the house! :) I have so far managed to remove the evil evidence each time before he notices! I'm having a heck of a time getting rid of the smoke smell lingering in the carpet and upholstered furniture though. I've used carpet deodorizer and furniture spray to little avail. Haven't used anything airborn like Lysol due to the proximity to the tanks. I'll cross my fingers that this will be one of his really late nights getting home (2 or 3 am would work well).

squidd

I'm thinking new carpet,paint and wallpaper...
The cost and inconveince of doing this during the Holidays will distract him so much, He won't even notice the smell/damage you have caused...:D
:cool: