metal halide lighting

I found a 48" metal halide lighting unit with 2 250w HQI fixtures, LED moon lights, and cooling fan for $199.99. Is this enough/too much for a 55g long tank?

Originally Posted by FishyScientist
http:///forum/post/3268522
I found a 48" metal halide lighting unit with 2 250w HQI fixtures, LED moon lights, and cooling fan for $199.99. Is this enough/too much for a 55g long tank?
I kinda feel like I have to get this because it's the best deal I've seen so far! PLEASE tell me this is a good idea! (I want an anemone and SPS corals eventually so...)

aquaknight

It isn't ridiculously over the top, but is a lot of light for the tank. I would definitely say the tank will require a chiller. For an anemone and SPS, what's the rest of the tank's setup going to be? Refugium, Calcium Reactor, Denitrator?
Check your PM's too.

acrylic51

I don't think it's overkill for the tank, and with that if you decided to move up to a bigger tank it's highly possible you can move this light setup to a bigger tank as well. It is very possible that you won't need to add a chiller....With that comment I'm stating get the lights up off the top of the tank at least 10"-12" and if needed add cooling fans to your canopy or whatever top your choosing, and worse case scenario before spending tons of cash on a chiller you could try adding fans to your sump area to cool as well....
Here's a pic of my chiller and you don't even want to consider purchasing 1 or the cost of running 1 if you can get away with it....This is a 1HP 230V chiller on my 240 setup.

I would say to buy it. I got a used one off craigslist yesterday its alittle older but the diffrence is amazing. Mine is a pendant 175 watt for a 40 gallon tank. I cant wait to actually start adding coral and see the diffrence from my T-5's. Quick question will this light be enough for a small carpet anemone if I also run a T-5 unit with my MH unit?

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3268545
It isn't ridiculously over the top, but is a lot of light for the tank. I would definitely say the tank will require a chiller. For an anemone and SPS, what's the rest of the tank's setup going to be? Refugium, Calcium Reactor, Denitrator?
Check your PM's too.
Well, the unit does come with a fan, so I can start with that, and see what the temp is. Then, add another fan, or a chiller at that point!
I just meant that I would eventually like to own SPS and an anemone, and the T12 VHOs are not enough for either. I do have a refugium with some chaeto in it right now. I am still new to all of this...what is a calcium reactor or a denitrator (I'm assuming it reduces nitrates, but I've never heard that term before!)
Also...what does PM stand for?? (So sorry!)
I don't plan on getting either SPS or an anemone until my tank is more mature. At this point, it's only been 1.5 months! I won't think about it even until at least 6 months.

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/3268555
I don't think it's overkill for the tank, and with that if you decided to move up to a bigger tank it's highly possible you can move this light setup to a bigger tank as well. It is very possible that you won't need to add a chiller....With that comment I'm stating get the lights up off the top of the tank at least 10"-12" and if needed add cooling fans to your canopy or whatever top your choosing, and worse case scenario before spending tons of cash on a chiller you could try adding fans to your sump area to cool as well....
Here's a pic of my chiller and you don't even want to consider purchasing 1 or the cost of running 1 if you can get away with it....This is a 1HP 230V chiller on my 240 setup.
My canopy does sit about 10-12" above the tank, so that should be good, right? I think I will remove the T12 VHOs and replace with this setup so it will sit high! The unit does have a fan too. Hopefully that will be enough to keep the temp down.

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3268564
I think that is an incredible price!
I know!! I bought it last night before I got replies. I just figured it was too good of a deal, and even if it didn't work with my current setup, I could always use it when I upgrade!

aquaknight

Originally Posted by FishyScientist
http:///forum/post/3268597
Well, the unit does come with a fan, so I can start with that, and see what the temp is. Then, add another fan, or a chiller at that point!
I just meant that I would eventually like to own SPS and an anemone, and the T12 VHOs are not enough for either. I do have a refugium with some chaeto in it right now. I am still new to all of this...what is a calcium reactor or a denitrator (I'm assuming it reduces nitrates, but I've never heard that term before!)
Also...what does PM stand for?? (So sorry!)
I don't plan on getting either SPS or an anemone until my tank is more mature. At this point, it's only been 1.5 months! I won't think about it even until at least 6 months.
PM is Private Message
I was just curious about what type of setup you were going to use. Those lights are powerful enough for a wall-to-wall SPS style-reef, which is how I thought you were going to be do the tank.
A calcium reactor uses CO2 injection to basically melt media (dead coral skeletons) to help supplement the tank. It's more for demanding tanks where you would be dosing a ton. A denitrator, yea, is a way to reduce nitrates, there's a coil denitrator, and a sulphur denitrator.

acrylic51

T12's can be used to keep SPS and has been just you have to have enough of them....I like to use my T12's for supplementation lighting though. Most manufacturers will recommend at least 12" above the water, but depending on reflectors and such and their efficiency you need or have to mount them higher....

haha i know this is a stupid thing to bring up but your kid is soo cute!! I should put up a pic of my kid its a chiuhauha LOL

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/3268697
PM is Private Message
I was just curious about what type of setup you were going to use. Those lights are powerful enough for a wall-to-wall SPS style-reef, which is how I thought you were going to be do the tank.
A calcium reactor uses CO2 injection to basically melt media (dead coral skeletons) to help supplement the tank. It's more for demanding tanks where you would be dosing a ton. A denitrator, yea, is a way to reduce nitrates, there's a coil denitrator, and a sulphur denitrator.
I'm not exactly sure what I will really want at this point. (maybe eventually I will eventually have a wall to wall SPS setup!) I know I will want an anemone for sure! I only had 3 T12 VHO bulbs, and can't fit much more in the canopy, so that won't cut it. So I just looked online for a few weeks, and stumbled upon this deal. I felt I couldn't pass it up, and it opens the doors for me to keep more things that demand more light. I hope it's not overkill!
Do you think I need a denitrator? How much do they cost?

haktran

Hello Fishy
Was it the odyssea unit that you purchased? I heard a lot of good thing about odyssea lately. Please let me know how it is, since I plan to get one set for myself. Thanks.

Originally Posted by haktran
http:///forum/post/3268988
Hello Fishy
Was it the odyssea unit that you purchased? I heard a lot of good thing about odyssea lately. Please let me know how it is, since I plan to get one set for myself. Thanks.
Hi haktran!
hmm...the brand wasn't listed, but they look similar. I will update when I get them to let others know!

mattzhawk

I purchased the Oydssea 760watt mh fixture for my 75 reef about 2 months ago and love it, using the legs that came with it and mounted a cheap fan to blow across the top of the water, my temp stays at around 80 i also have a fan blowing across the ballasts to cool them and they feel cool to the touch.