Metal halide lights over a nano?

R

reeffer

i dont have one, but coralife sells a 3 way adjustable MH light that clamps right on to the tank and looks cool. the light is 150w 20,000k

tinyreef

i have 150W 20000K over a 15H (also have 2x32W actinics), just about right imo.
i used to run it with VHO's (4x30W URI's, for over 2-years) but i've been running the MH for over a year now. while i still prefer the actinics of the VHO's, the point-source-lighting of the mh really can't be beat for aesthetics. currently, this tank is a soft coral-dominated system (zoos and alcyons).
but i've seen uber-MH setups over other nanos.
lunchbucket (- --) had 400W over his 20H. i think he has 2x250W DE's over his upgraded 30G now (not sure). his was a sps dominated system (as is the new one).
liquid (- NR) had 70W over his 2.5g pico. but i'm not sure if that tank still exists as he's gotten out of the hobby, i believe. gorgeous tank and one of the best picos i've ever seen. this tank was (is?) a zoanthid dominated tank.
just keep the light at a reasonable distance (4"~6"). i wouldn't worry about cooking the tank as much as splash hitting the fixture. there will be more heat put into/onto the tank but you just need to combat that with more fans on the canopy or tank, itself. hth

jasenhicks

I sell MH retros, and a buddy of mine bought a 250W for his 10gallon nano (vice thed 175W i suggested). He said its awesome, and his small bta in it loves it. Its not unheard of, just put a fan near the tank, and mount it reasonably higher above the tank.
Jasen

georgene

Originally Posted by JasenHicks
I sell MH retros, and a buddy of mine bought a 250W for his 10gallon nano (vice thed 175W i suggested). He said its awesome, and his small bta in it loves it. Its not unheard of, just put a fan near the tank, and mount it reasonably higher above the tank.
Jasen
Do you have a web site you seel the MH retros on?

jasenhicks

email me at jasenhicks@ hotmail . com. And we can arrange somthing. I am just a hobbyist that got a good deal on some kits, selling the 175W at cost, $145. I have 3 left (with either 14,000K or 10,000K bulb). No 250W left, i used the last 2 on my 75.
jasen

L

lbaskball

I have a metal halide on a JBJ 24gal nano cube. It doesnt fry the fish (I live in los angeles)...but u'll need a thermoelectric chiller to keep it cool.

R

reeffer

Originally Posted by lbaskball
I have a metal halide on a JBJ 24gal nano cube. It doesnt fry the fish (I live in los angeles)...but u'll need a thermoelectric chiller to keep it cool.
those are sweet i wish they had one last year when i bought my 24nano, so instead this year i bought a 135 and sold that little guy

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by reeffer
those are sweet i wish they had one last year when i bought my 24nano, so instead this year i bought a 135 and sold that little guy
Hey you got a 135! But Im sure u'll miss the 24nano very much. :) I love mine.