Metal Halide ?

chris17

Ok, I am planning a 50g frag tank. My question is would a pendant metal halide, be less likely to heat my tank verses a retro fit setup that I would need to build a canopy for? An also, what size halide would be recomended? 150, 250...ect. I am looking at eventually keeping SPS, but mainly softies and LPS for now. Thanks for any input.

scsinet

For this frag tank, I'd use a 400W single halide pendant operating in the 6500-10K range.
Yes, a pendant will heat MUCH less than an enclosed canopy, and it'll be easier to get into the tank with a pendant versus a canopy.
When using halides (or any lighting system), the lower the kevin rating, the faster the growth and the less the color. The higher the kelvin rating, the slower the growth and better the color.
Ergo, 6500K to 10K will give you the fastest growth performance out of your corals.
You may also consider getting both a 6500K lamp and a 20K lamp. Lots of people who do lots of growout will grow out a batch of coral under 6500K, then put a 20K lamp in for the last couple weeks before removing the frags to color them up prior to sale or placement in the DT.

chris17

Thanks for the input. I searched a few sites but could not find just a 400w pendant. Any suggestions? I did find a 400w system with 2 95w VHO but, its not a pendant

nigerbang

Originally Posted by chris17
http:///forum/post/2654682
Thanks for the input. I searched a few sites but could not find just a 400w pendant. Any suggestions? I did find a 400w system with 2 95w VHO but, its not a pendant
Hamilton makes one.. A 400w Low Profile Reefstar

chris17

Thanks! I didn't even see them when I looked before. For the same price I can get a 10k or a 14k bulb included. Did you mean alot of people get 2 kinds of bulbs and change them out, or 2 pendants? Just double checking. I am just not sure which bulb to get.

nigerbang

http:///forum/post/2655044
Thanks! I didn't even see them when I looked before. For the same price I can get a 10k or a 14k bulb included. Did you mean alot of people get 2 kinds of bulbs and change them out, or 2 pendants? Just double checking. I am just not sure which bulb to get.
He is talking about the difference in bulb color and temp.
6500k is a really yellowish color but great for growth looks like a tank full of pee though.
10k looks more whiteish and still good for growth but not as good as 65k for growth..

spanko

Yeah two bulbs not two pendants. Grow the frags to saleable size with the 6500 or 10k, then 2 weeks or so prior to sale throw the 20k on and let them color up some.

chris17

Thanks alot for the help from everyone. Does $329.95 for a 400w 10K Reef Star low profile system sound about right? There is also a $40 shipping fee
. Is there a better priced system. I don't know any other suppliers other than Hamilton T. Thanks for the help!

chris17

Ok, I was looking again on Hamilton and found a Reef sun 400w system that comes with a 6.5k bulb for $310.00 So instead of haveing the 10k bulb I would have the 6.5k, then I would just need the 20k. The money I am saveing with this system I could use to get the 20k...

scsinet

http:///forum/post/2657459
Ok, I was looking again on Hamilton and found a Reef sun 400w system that comes with a 6.5k bulb for $310.00 So instead of haveing the 10k bulb I would have the 6.5k, then I would just need the 20k. The money I am saveing with this system I could use to get the 20k...

Yep!
If you are handy, you can also scrounge a "high bay" fixture from a local electrician (they tear them out of buildings all the time for remodels) or from that famous site where you bid on stuff. They usually take a 400w lamp. Of course they are huge and ugly, but it's dirt cheap, and if the frag tank is just a "utility" tank, then appearance shouldn't be an issue.

chris17

I found the lights you were talking about on that famous site. They are really cheap, and also big and ugly lol I would get one but the gf would have a cow!
It looks like I will be getting that fixture as soon as I get sum money saved up! Thanks for all the help from everyone!
I was just thinking about the setup and was wondering how high I should mount the fixture. The tank is going to be a 50g long, so 48"L, 18"w, 13"h. I do plan on haveing softies in it as well, so I should be able to put them where the light is not the strongest an they would be fine...right?

scsinet

I'd suggest dividing the tank in half, and centering the light over the first half.
So for 48", you'd put the light 12" from the left or right edge of the tank. That will place concentrated light over the one side for your SPS, etc. There should be more than enough light to carry over to the other side for your soft corals.

C

cmaxwell39

Isn't 400W way overkill for a 13" deep tank? I am not doubting you SCSInet, you know way more about this stuff then I do, I am just trying to learn and everything that I have read says that even a 150W would have plenty of punch for a tank 18"-20" deep.

chris17

SCSInet, so then why the 400w for a frag tank? Like cmaxwell39, I am not doubting you I would just like to learn more. Also, how high should the light be off the water since it will be a 400w halide?

scsinet

Although watts per gallon isn't a widely used, given a 50 gallon tank, 400 watts gives you 8 watts per gallon. A 250 would give you 5, which would not be sufficient for some corals like SPS... or at least would not give you the amount of growth you'd want in a frag tank.
From a halide perspective, given that I had the impression that the OP wanted only one fixture, 250 would be too small for a 50g frag tank, and although a 400w is quite large, it's not "too large."
I'd hang it high... 15-20" to allow for proper spread.
Regardless, I'm not suggesting that 400w is the only right way to do it.

chris17

Thank you for your help SCSInet. I have been busy these past few days and got good/bad news. A relative of mine is moveing to California, but is leaveing his 125g Allglass to me. So, everything changes big time as I will not be haveing a 50g frag tank but a full blown reef setup. I do plan on makeing this tank an SPS dominant tank.
I would like to build a canopy for it, but that would mean that 3 400w MH would heat the water. In return, I'm pretty sure I would have to get a chiller right?

chris17

I am going to get the tank up and running in about a month or so. I will only have 1 MH for a little while until I can get the money for the other 2. That goes for all the other equipment that I must have for it to be a SPS dominant tank as well. Until that time I am going to keep softies and some LPS.