Metal Halides are up!

tervman

Well, we FINALLY got around to hanging the two 175W MH pendants a friend gave us a few months ago. We are currently burning them about 4-5 hours a day, and will gradually increase that to 10-12 hours per day. We need to replace the 6500K bulbs that came with the lights (too yellow for our liking). I was thinking something in the 12000K-14000K range as a balance between the yellow and blue, since I won't have any supplementation with the pendants.
We (my wife especially) are interested in getting a few corals and an anemone or two. Previous postings indicate that zoanthids, mushrooms, xenia, colts, and leathers are good beginner corals. I really like the brain coral myself, and would like to get one of those somewhere down the line. As for the anemone, we were thinking about a BTA. I also understand you should not mix different species of anemone, but I assume we can get several of the same species (correct?)
Anyone have any other suggestions as to what might be good for beginners? Will two 175W 12000-14000K bulbs enable us to keep ANYTHING we want? Can the above mentioned corals be kept together, successfully, in a 55G tank, or should we only focus on a couple of different types?
Thanks, as usual.

tkblazer

i have 14k hamiltons that i love... you will pretty much be able to keep almost any coral in that tank from softies to SPS and clams. good luck and watch the tank temp

tervman

Originally posted by TKBLAZER
i have 14k hamiltons that i love... you will pretty much be able to keep almost any coral in that tank from softies to SPS and clams. good luck and watch the tank temp

Are you only running the 14K's by themselves, or do you have any supplementation? If you are only running the 14K's alone, I would really like to see a photo of your tank, if you have one, to get an idea what mine might look like.
Regarding the tank temp, I am running topless (with eggcrate), and the lights are about 10" above the water surface. Hopefully that will keep the temp down. However, I am keeping an eye on it.
Thanks for the comments!