Metal Halides

wayne40

i was wanting to know if a dual REEF SUN metal halide would be enough light for a 55 gal oceanic the light is 39" long?? any help very much appreciated

reefnut

IMO, a dual Reef Sun system would be ok for a 55g tank. The unit is 39" long but MH are usually placed 2' apart anyway. With the built in reflector I can't see a problem with it.
Dual 175w MH IMO is pretty good for a 55g. You may want some VHOs or PC to go along with it.
Something else, the unit I found came with 5500k bulbs... Something to think about, you may want to upgrade them.
All that said, there are cheaper units out there. The sun reef is a pendant mount unit. If you plan to put it into a canopy then there are some retrofits that would be just as effective. If you plan to hang it above the tank it looks like a nice setup.

reefnut

Here is a unit from Cool Tough Lighting... Dual 175w MH and Dual VHOs 48" Canopy for 395.00 w/o Bulbs. Just a thought...

reefnut

One thing to keep in mind with the cool touch lighting is they come standard with probe start ballasts.

mudplayerx

I am using two of these over a 55 gallon tank and it looks very professional. They are BRIGHT! They are so bright that I once told my nephew to turn off the lights in the ceiling fan, and they weren't even on! lol
ps- They were in the lfs store for $300 each, but I negotiated down to $250 each.