MH Bulbs

dreeves

What is a good all around MH bulb? I am looking to put either a single 175 or 250 on my 45, but only want to have one preferably without any supplemental actinic lighting.

reefnut

I think the best all around bulb is the 10k Ushio. Do you prefer a bluer look? IMO the 10k without actinic is kind of yellow. If I was going to use a MH without actinic personally I would prefer the 20k.

spsfreak100

I agree with what Kipass stated about the radiums. When overdriven, they do have more intensity, but it can be expensive replacing them every 6 months. When they're not driven on an HQI ballast, they will last longer, although they won't be anywhere as intense as other halides.
The 250wt 20,000k Radium has a much lower PAR than other halide bulbs.
I would recommend the 10,000k Ushio. I've used it for a few months without any supplimental actinics, and I've really enjoyed the coloration and growth I've gotten from my corals.
Graham

doodle1800

I have a 45 also - corner tank which is presently fresh water. I plan on converting it to salt. I'm thinking of a single large piece of LR with mostly corals, a few fish. Its a rather tall tank, being a corner tank. I would also like a recommendation for this type of setup. Do these lights you guys have been recommending hang from something?

bigmac

DvS,
Good question....I'n not a big fan of VHO's or PC's, they have to be replaced almost as often as the Radiums. Now we're talking more money plus more hassel. I like the look of the 10K and 20K combo, you get the best of both worlds here.
dreeves,
If it were me I'd go with a 250 watt 10K AB bulb or Iwaski...if you think you might want to just run a MH alone you might try the 250 watt Sunburst. I've never used this bulb in the 250 watt flavor but I know a famous SPS farmer who likes this bulb.

bigmac

Kip,
My 150 was 48" long. I had the bulbs mounted in 24" PFO refectors. You know the kind you can run end to end and mount VHO or PC bulbs in along with the MH's? I trimmed them down so you couldn't mount the VHOPC's and this allowed them to be mounted closer together, perpendicular not parallel. So I ran two 400 watt Radiums and had the 400 watt Ushio in the middle. Just guessing I'd say the bulbs were 12" apart, the light blended very well.
Do you know who Reef Project (Ali) is? You might look him up at --. I think he's running 3 or 4 different MH's over a 75-80 gal tank and they blend real nice. I haven't seen his tank yet but I have heard good things about it. Chris (Skilos1) might know what lights Ali is running?

bigmac

Kip,
As I stated above "So I ran two 400 watt Radiums and had the 400 watt Ushio in the middle"...I had (the tank is down now) two radiums and a single Ushio in the middle, all in the 400 watt flavor. I'm not going to say it wont be a little brighter in the middle, just that the color blended very nice and if you were standing in front of the tank and didn't know what I was running you probably wouldn't notice.
BTW, the Radiums were ran on the PFO HQI ballast and the Ushio on the PFO standard.

jonthefb

i personally am a big fan of teh 250w mogul base AB 10K bulb, which actually burn at 13 or 14 K i think the AB hqi's are crap. ive had my 10K ab's on my tank for 8 months now and they are jammin. i am going to replace them in november with 10K XM bulbs to see what the xm's are like.....ive heard that the xm 10K is bluish as well, so i thiought id give it a try!
good luck
jon