MH lighting question?

van888

Hello All,
Just need a little info on MH lighting.Is the reef optix any good or is there another brand out there? The reef optix seems to be a good price for the 150 watt setup with ballast.

van888

Ok im new to the MH lighting, used PC for long time. Is there a differance in the double ended bulbs to the screw in type? Also i take it you also need an atinic type setup or is there a bulb that gives you 10k daylight with atinic blue. Or do you buy 2 MH fixtures and put one daylight and one atinic blue in?

van888

Oh yea is this a good price for the setup? $118.00 for fixture and $89.00 for ballast? This on the Drs website.

golfish

Originally posted by van888
Ok im new to the MH lighting, used PC for long time. Is there a differance in the double ended bulbs to the screw in type? Also i take it you also need an atinic type setup or is there a bulb that gives you 10k daylight with atinic blue. Or do you buy 2 MH fixtures and put one daylight and one atinic blue in?

I think your looking at the Reef Optix III pendant, right? Double ended bulbs? The DE bulb put out more light but its only one bulb. Most reefers I know don't use anythign but MH's. What's th eK rating on the bulb you plan to use?
BTW, that price seems ok to me. Is the ballast a Bluewave ballast ?

van888

golfish they have different types of bulbs. I guess that is my question. What would be a good bulb a 10K, and do they make an atinic in MH bulbs. Yes it is the Reef Optix 3 and a Bluewave ballast.

golfish

Originally posted by van888
golfish they have different types of bulbs. I guess that is my question. What would be a good bulb a 10K, and do they make an atinic in MH bulbs. Yes it is the Reef Optix 3 and a Bluewave ballast.

I have never seen an actinic MH, I doubt they make em. I would just use something between a 12 and 20K bulb..I use all 20K's on my tank. Actinics are nice to have but they are only there for you, they have not effect on the health of the coral.