MH lighting upgrade, Too much?

plum70rt

I am having problems with my VHO, cant get 2 bulbs to light, ballast is fine Icecap 430 with 2 140watt VHO, does anyone have problems with the end caps? bulbs look like they will fire for a secound then cut out,? also now that im PO and cant figure it out,
I was thinking of ditching the VHO and adding 2 more 400 watt MH, giving me 4 400 watters on a 262 gallon :D , think thats a bit much? I have a few frags of stonies, mostly LPS, shrooms polups, 3 anemones, colt , hammer ect,

reefnut

This is probable a stupid question but are you sure one of the bulbs isn't bad?
Personally I don't think 4- 400w would be to much.

sal t. nutz

Yes, I had the same prob last weekend. Those 3 piece end caps are a PITA. I had to remove each bulb and test it with endcaps 1&4 to verify that all the bulbs worked. Then I made sure each endcap was on properly, even though I had just messed with each of them. Finally I got it to work. I feel your pain, but your best bet is to remove each bulb and test it 1 by 1. Then when you are sure all the bulbs work, replace them and check each encap real well for connectivity.

plum70rt

I have 2 ballasts,4 bulbs
if i switch the bulbs and or ballast i get them to work , so all ballast and bulbs are ok, these damm endcaps, if you have a bad connection is that what they do fire for a sec, then cut out?

acez28

2 400w MHs will not be too much for the 262 gallon. I was gonna get 2 400w MH and I have a 100gal. Only reason i didnt is that my 100gal is cubed and only 3ft across.

reefnut

Sorry plum, another stupid question :D . After turning them on did you mess with the bulbs to try and get them working? After I changed my bulbs I had to twist them 1/4 turn back and forth and finally they started... No problems sense.

plum70rt

And I have 4 140 watt Vho, and 2 400 Watt MH,
soon to be 4 400 Watt MH, :p ,,,
Hmm 2 10 k 2 20k:confused:
I have my whole damm canopy apart:mad:

reefnut

Originally posted by plum70rt
I have 2 ballasts,4 bulbs
if i switch the bulbs and or ballast i get them to work , so all ballast and bulbs are ok, these damm endcaps, if you have a bad connection is that what they do fire for a sec, then cut out?

A bad connection could cause this. When a bulbs burns out the good bulb will try to fire but has now way to complete the circuit. Could be the same thing happening here. Do you have an electrical meter? You could check the continuity in the endcaps to find the bad connection if that is in fact what it is.

reefnut

One more thought, if both bulbs try to fire then I would start with the endcaps that have the yellow wires connected to them

plum70rt

yes I can check it, Im just a little PO because I want my corals to have light today, if I need parts ect, Im going to take it all out and play with it, this oak canopy is a Bear to lift, just a royal Pain for a bad connection, better than a fried ballast I guess,:(

sal t. nutz

Yes plum, same endcaps I have. Real pain in the ass. I finally got them working after about 3 hours. Might try using some sandpaper and sand the contacts, the salt ruins them over time.

plum70rt

AHHH A bit more stroking, and fixed:)
I had to take this all apart,check every connection
these push in type conectors are lame:(
oh well at least it didnt cost me anything,
im still considering the 4 400s though, I have the bulbs already,;)