MH lighting

streetdoc

I just received my new lighting fixture. 2x 400W MH with 2x 65w PC, dual fans and a plexiglass shield. I have glass lids over the tank. I have read here in other forums that MH should never be closer than 6" to the tank. Why? and does this apply to a shielded hood with glass covers on the tank?
Thanks

beerformep

I belive its because the water would get to hot.I have mine 10 in from the water.Also spreads light out better.

jmesmcm

Remove the glass tops from the tank or you may end up boiling your tank ;) I currently have my lights about 8 inches above the water with no shield and they do fine althoigh I am planning on putting in a tempered glass shield in the near future to keep the salt off of my bulbs.

streetdoc

OK. Another question. How do I manage to raise my lighting fixture that high? Do I need to extend the sides of my canopy or get a new one or is there some other trick?:thinking:

streetdoc

Replaced the 2 3" fans with 4"ers that move twice the air. cut out the multiple 1/4" drilled holes in the side for the ventilation fans with a 4" hole saw. What a difference. My tank temp went up 1 degree from the 230w PC I had before.