MH on a 90

ninjamini

I am setting up a 90 this week and I opted for 2x150 + 2x 96 actinic. I was fearful of heat issues. I do not want to think about a chiller.

bonebrake

If you keep the room relatively cool (68-72) and have good ventilation and place the lights high enough 8" or better above the water you can get away with two 250 watt metal halides and not need a chiller. If any of the above conditions are not possible then go for lower wattage.
:joy:

whitey_028

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
If you keep the room relatively cool (68-72) and have good ventilation and place the lights high enough 8" or better above the water you can get away with two 250 watt metal halides and not need a chiller. If any of the above conditions are not possible then go for lower wattage.

ninjamini

If you keep the room relatively cool (68-72)
Burr. The fish will be cool but I will need to bundle up.

pfitz44

ok cool thats kinda what i was thinking... i was lookin to mount about 10 inches... and put some fans to take care of heat with air vents on the back...
is 10" to high???

laddy

The wattage on your bulbs adding to heat issues is a minor concern if you have enough ventilation on your hood. Most people who blame their MH contribiting to heat issues don't have enough air circulating under the hood.......their secondary issue is the temp of the tank, their main issue is the lights burning their hood and setting their house on fire.

ninjamini

Originally Posted by PFitz44
WEll just ordered my lights... 2x 250W MH with 2 96W PC atincs
which light?

bonebrake

Hopefully this is redundant, but make sure you have a heater set at 78 in your sump that is sufficient to heat your volume of water when the metal halides are not on.

pfitz44

Hopefully this is redundant, but make sure you have a heater set at 78 in your sump that is sufficient to heat your volume of water when the metal halides are not on.
o yea... well right now ive got about 3 heaters in the tank itself.. sump is going to get turned on today.. then they will get moved down to teh sump