MH question

ukcats

Ok...I'm ready to buy MH lighting. It is for a 65 gallon (36" tank). I want to get 250watt MH (single) with 2 actinic VHO or PC.
The questions are as follows:
1. Should I get pc or vho?
2. Cool touch lighting or hellolights?
3. Is it better to have a remote ballast (one that comes in a box) or one that is mounted under the canopy (which I already have built).
4. I am confused by all the different ballasts (ie...M58 etc...). Could someone explain the differences or, in the scheme of things, will it really matter?
Thanks, Phil.:

wrassie86

I'll take a shot at this
Pc or vho--up to you i would run pc the lamp life is alot longer.i use 96 watt ac3 and love them over 110watt vho that needs to be replaced every 6 mos or so.The great thing is pc ballast can be converted to run vho if you so choose
Cool touch lighting or hellolights?IMHO hellolights just because i like them and have ordered all my bulbs from them.(they ship fast)
3. Is it better to have a remote ballast...any ballast can be a remote ballast if you know alittle about wireing
as far as ballast for metal halides go...go to hellolights sight and they will list what MH bulbs will run on the m57 or m37 ballasts
my choice is m57 ballast with XM MH

ukcats

I also have a question about fans. Can you wire them to come on with the lights or do you have to turn them on seperately?

wrassie86

Originally posted by UKCATS
I also have a question about fans. Can you wire them to come on with the lights or do you have to turn them on seperately?

heres my diy for fans for my system 2-3inch computer fans 1 4inch pc fan all running on a 12volt 1000 milla amp power pack from radio shack. the 2 3inch fans have been running for a couple of years now,the 4 inch was a new addition a few months ago but all is running fine and the power pack is cool.

saltcreep

Hook the fans up to a timer with the lights. When the lights come on the fans will. I perfer the VHO to PC myself.